Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fall from treestand

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Hello everyone, this is Dale. I just wanted to do a write up and an update to a very unfortunate accident I had on 9-17-11. Seth and I went out very early that morning to hang one last set of stands on a new property we got. Seth was filming that morning as I was doing the tree climbing. I had my harness on and was using the lineman's belt that came with it. About 8:00 that morning I was 22ft in the air and working on the last stand when all of a sudden I heard a "tink" sound and everything let loose. I tried to grab for everything and anything I could to save me from falling but that didn't work. I fell 22ft upside down to the ground. One of the screw in tree steps slashed my right calf open really good tearing and exposing the muscle. I also suffered a 5 inch cut on the left side of my head from my temple straight back cutting through all muscle layers but the last one to my skull. This cut came from my head hitting my tree saw I had hanging half way down the tree. I did not black out or go into shock at all during this fall. I distinctly remember as I was falling upside down looking behind me and seeing the ground quickly approaching and thought to my self "I'm dead". I remember hitting the ground and landing on my head/left shoulder area and I remember that it did not hurt one bit. After I landed the most unreal pain I have ever felt in my life was coming from my leg being ripped open. I instantly thought it was broken but when I looked at it and it was straight I knew it wasn't. It was at that time I knew I had a serious cut on my head due to the amount of blood I was loosing. I instantly went into survival mode and just knew Seth and I had to stop the bleeding. We were able to get that under control until the paramedics arrived.

I am writing this not to get a woe is me post going, but to bring all glory to God for his protection that morning. I was doing everything safe but accidents can still happen. I can't find the other buckle that was attached to the linemans belt so I still am not sure what went wrong. All I know is I fell 22ft upside down to the ground, I suffered a little on the way down, but I can honestly say I have no broken bones and no internal injuries.

We had the camera rolling, but it was not on me at the time. However, I did have the wireless mic on and it captured everything...and I mean everything. From me falling, to Seth praying over me, to the 911 operator and the paramedics coming down the road. I let a few people listen to it and the first words out of their mouths were "chilling".
Folks, whether your hanging stands or season is over and your taking them down, please please please wear your harness and have someone else out there with you. We all try to be as safe as we can, but some don't. If your reading this take all of this to heart. Do everything you can, even if it's a pain, but do everything you can to protect yourself at all times. I hope none of you ever have to go through this, thats why I am letting you know what happened to me. This could of ended so much worse , my boys could of lost their dad that morning, my wife her husband and my parents their son...but they didn't! Right now I am able to walk without crutches, very little but I can do it, just taking it day by day.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Holy smokes DJ! That's scary as heck.....I'm glad to hear you are still with us, but dang those are some nasty wounds. So were you suspended from your safety belt and the belt broke or what exactly happened with respect to the fall? Was the stand in place and fail or was it your safety equipment?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
So glad you are OK, safe, and still with us Dale. I am still thanking God everytime I think about it, that you are here!! God speed on your recovery bro!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know my stomach turned inside out when Milo text'd me that afternoon and more so when Wayne text'd me the details Sunday morning. I've known for some time that it was only a matter of time before someone I knew had to go through this. I, as well as many others, are very thankful you are alive and well. We are praying for a speedy recovery for you and a filled Ohio buck tag to complete the story line. Good luck in your recovery brother. One day at a time...

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
Holy smokes DJ! That's scary as heck.....I'm glad to hear you are still with us, but dang those are some nasty wounds. So were you suspended from your safety belt and the belt broke or what exactly happened with respect to the fall? Was the stand in place and fail or was it your safety equipment?

I had the lineman's belt attached to my harness. Something on the lineman's belt let go, I am missing pieces, the are some where in the woods, so I haven't exactly nailed down the problem yet.

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm glad you survived and ok Dale. God is good and blessed you that day.

I had an uncle that took a fall from a treestand once. It broke his neck and he wasn't fortunate enough to make it.

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
I know my stomach turned inside out when Milo text'd me that afternoon and more so when Wayne text'd me the details Sunday morning. I've known for some time that it was only a matter of time before someone I knew had to go through this. I, as well as many others, are very thankful you are alive and well. We are praying for a speedy recovery for you and a filled Ohio buck tag to complete the story line. Good luck in your recovery brother. One day at a time...

My stomach turned inside out when in the ER I saw my muscle hanging out of my leg. I went and moved my ankle and the muscle hanging out flexed....creepy man, creepy...lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dale- It is great to read this from you. I am very thankful you are here to tell us about it. Thanks to the good Lord is all we can say about this one! I am glad you will recover, and happy to know you have a good relationship with God. Heal quickly and be careful! Thank you for the safety warning!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got sick reading this. I'm so glad you're ok and hope for a speedy recovery and I know that I will be more careful in the field. Anything can happen at any time. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
1 out of 3 fall out of the tree sometime in there hunting career... Lets do everything to prevent it. I am bad about going out myself to hang stands. Next time Adam can come hang them for me.

Because of your incident Dale I paid my nephew to come help me hang stands last week.

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

I think this hits us all hard, I'm thankful that you are ok, you're one blessed dude! I am sure that this story will become a part of your F@FD testimony and hopefully will reach hunters for God, and for safety.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dale, I am glad that you made it through the whole ordeal without any MAJOR injuries. My biggest fear is falling from a tree, and that is why I give everyone hell about using a safety harness. I am a bit curious to hear what happened with your harness. Guess this should be a reminder that no matter how careful you are, things can happen.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Dale, so glad you are doing relatively well compared to all the other possible outcomes that those few seconds could have led to. Unbelieveable story with an amazing outcome. As Greg has said, even when we are trying to do everything by the book to ensure safety, terrible things can and do still happen. Thank God you have not only lived to share your story but escaped without breaking a thing. Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Great to hear from you. Glad you had someone looking out for you. I hope you have a speedy recovery. A lot of good advice in this thread. Be safe my friends.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So glad to hear your on the mend. I first caught wind of this on Facebook and was very scared for you and your family.
Thank you for sharing the story.

Dale, this doesn't pertain to you, but me because clearly yours was an equipment failure.
Sometimes I get careless and figure it won't happen to me.
I'll never take safety for granted again.
Get well soon!

Last edited: