Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sporting bone...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Talk about a sigh of relief...

And nothing makes me happier than seeing daylight pics!!!

Huckleberry Finn

I take it Moe isn't the only one sporting it...

Looks like a fine deer. He's got so much going on on that left side, I'm guessing that though you've got hundreds of pictures, it's still going to be unreal when you put your hand on it!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks good bro. I hope you get that smack down put on him this weekend.

If you do smack him...there is no crying in hunting lol. Makes for some bad pics lmao

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It's flat out amazing how many pictures this deer gives you. Do you credit a lot of that to the buckeye cam? If you had another camera in the same place would you be getting the same number of pictures? What is your thoughts?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
So after seeing him out of velvet, what are you thinking gross score will be?

I am seeing a basic 9 point frame with a split brow and some junk, along with average mass (35") maybe a 17" inside spread. I am guessing his main beams are around 23" each.

Here are my preliminary gross scores for this deer, that way you can compare them after you whack him.

Right side gross = 68"
Left side gross = 77"
Inside spread = 17"

Total gross = 162"

Good luck bro!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas. I certainly hope to close the deal on this deer. I'm tired of starting stories and not finishing them!

In regards to the amount of pictures, I do give a lot of the credit to the BEC. That camera has taken 20,000+ pictures this summer on the same battery. It is a true work horse and the deer never pay it any attention. I believe other cameras would have given me pictures of him, but not there nearly 8,000 I have. Regardless of the fact I no longer represent BEC, I will always contend no one makes a better inventory camera. This summer has been a perfect example of that...

As for the gross score, I've been over this a thousand times and always come up with 162-164". So it is very comforting to see Chad come up with the same score. However, score means nothing to me in the case. It is all about the quest and finishing what I started. If he scores 155 or 165, it doesn't matter...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think Jesse will kill several bucks like this in his lifetime. He has the passion, the knowledge, the ability and the hunting property to do so. I think buck of a lifetime is a term that is way overused on TV these days. A true buck of a lifetime would be a clean 170" 8 pointer or a 250" nontypical IMO...... a 160 class gross nontypical in Ohio is a hell of a nice deer, but it is a deer that can be had several times over many seasons in a tree.

I'm trying to give Jesse a pep talk here before the season!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks Chad. Coming from you, it means a lot and I certainly hope I can look back on those words in a couple of decades and call them prophetic...

FWIW... I moved the camera as you can tell. I had a feeling he was dipping south and west of the original location for the security cover that exists between the bedding area and the corn on the other side of the ridge. I think he feels safer here and I have pics of him just cruising through without ever stopping for a bite. The overall usage of my feed sites is way down, so I know other food sources are a priority right now, mainly what little acorn crop we have. I am almost 100% certain he is spending a good bit of time in my sanctuary based on how he approached this camera on every visit but the obvious return trips following a visit earlier in the night. If he is staying where I think he is staying, it is only a matter of time before he cruises past one of the two set-ups I have on that ridge. Obviously I want to end this soon, but I also feel very confident that the last week of October will be my time. I've been saying for months now that October 26-31 is when I expect him to fall...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In my eyes it is. That's why I'm pulling just as hard for him to shoot as I would if it was myself hunting it.
In 17 years of serious bow hunting I've only seen maybe 3 that could be considered in this same class. This buck is a stud and in my eyes a once in a lifetime buck. Some others may see them like this frequently. I'm not one of them.
That is a rare sight face to face.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thanks Chad. Coming from you, it means a lot and I certainly hope I can look back on those words in a couple of decades and call them prophetic...

FWIW... I moved the camera as you can tell. I had a feeling he was dipping south and west of the original location for the security cover that exists between the bedding area and the corn on the other side of the ridge. I think he feels safer here and I have pics of him just cruising through without ever stopping for a bite. The overall usage of my feed sites is way down, so I know other food sources are a priority right now, mainly what little acorn crop we have. I am almost 100% certain he is spending a good bit of time in my sanctuary based on how he approached this camera on every visit but the obvious return trips following a visit earlier in the night. If he is staying where I think he is staying, it is only a matter of time before he cruises past one of the two set-ups I have on that ridge. Obviously I want to end this soon, but I also feel very confident that the last week of October will be my time. I've been saying for months now that October 26-31 is when I expect him to fall...

You should be confident in your approach: you have a good handle on his movements and moving the camera proved this. I like watching this story unfold. That buck is great and I hope you complete the quest!