Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horton Experts?

matt hougan

Dayton area
I recently picked up an older Horton Hunter Supreme for my son to shoot. I remeber them to be pretty loud. I am wondering if I can swap out the steel cable for string and perhaps the wheels to help quiet the bow down some. Other than this being an older bow it is in unused condition.

matt hougan

Dayton area
I think your right about not quieting it down any. I guess I'll just leave it stock. Got a soft spot for modifying things. Guess in this case I'll have to accept it for what it is. Its a perfectly lethal weapon my kids can carry so they can hunt along side me.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
To be honest, if you want a bow buy a TENPOINT.... Its when you wanna drive and ride in a escalade, but too cheap and you a choose a Hun-dai...lol

Tenpoint all the way,....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I recently picked up an older Horton Hunter Supreme for my son to shoot. I remeber them to be pretty loud. I am wondering if I can swap out the steel cable for string and perhaps the wheels to help quiet the bow down some. Other than this being an older bow it is in unused condition.

I would talk directly to Horton ans pose that question too them..... I imagine they have the answer you're looking for.... I had an older used Horton for my first crossbow, have you ever taken two 2x4's and slapped them together???? Yeah x2 on the noise factor :smiley_clap: Just figuired that's what it was and lived with it.... but I do shoot a Ten Point now..... :smiley_coolpeace:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The Horton Hunter Supreme is a little noisy compared to todays crossbows....But it is also like the good old chevy 350 motors. Just a little maintenance and they just keep going and going. You can contact Horton, But when it comes to string, cables and pulleys, they will usually recommend nothing be changed from the stock set up. New string and cables will speed the bow up a little if it looks like older or original equipment...I put double Simms Vibration Dampeners on each limb about 3" apart and also used the String Silencers on it. This will be about as good as it gets. Out to 30 yds.....I have never had a deer "jump the string" using a crossbow.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Something else I do on the used Hortons..... I check the trigger box for the older style Horton Rail Lube or Vaseline build-up.....I remove the trigger box, blast it with Hot water from my kitchen sprayer....Put it in front of the Blow Dryer on High for about a minute to get hot to the touch....Then oil it good. This will help with the trigger pull for the kids ~~ especially in colder weather.

Big H

Medina
I have one that my daughter is using now. My dad and I bought them new at the same time, close to 20 years ago. We have both killed numerous deer with them over the years. He took his to Horton and they replaced the limbs, cables etc... and installed a new trigger for him. I have had mine back to them one time for new string and cables. Horton is easy to deal with and as stated above, if you keep the shots 25 yards and less, you shouldn't have a problem. I would check the limbs over really well though and possibly contact Horton to see what it would cost for a tune up/upgrade.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Matt, did you ever do anything with your Hunter Supreme?

When you have a few mintues, call Horton and ask for Jerad Meistersinger. He'll be able to answer an questions you may have.

I would highly recommend sending it back to Horton and let them recondition it if you're putting it in your son's hands. I am currently shooting a factory reconditioned Legacy 175 and you wouldn't ever know it was not brand new.

Last edited: