Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

National Hunting and Fishing day

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I know Sat is opening day for bow .but From 1pm til around 4pm The Morrow County Conservation Club is having a National Hunting and Fishing Day outting at the head waters just outside of Mt.Gilead for the kids. ODNR will have there 3-D shooting booth and ODWC brings a Boat, MrFry will have some of his bird dogs there Flint Knapping a Wildlife display and a lot of games for the kids.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
That was talked about also, but I think there fear is a wonded deer running thru town or onto the highway. There is not that meany deer in the park.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It will never happen. To close to town. They talked about it a few years back and it was shot down.

Talked to the man making the decision, he is the one that runs the Alum hunt and Seymour woods hunt. He is in charge of Alum, Delaware and Mount Gilead State Park. He said that it has a better than good chance of happening. There are a lot more houses around the Alum hunt than around the MG State Lakes. This one is straight from the horses mouth.

Ernie the Park and woods is much bigger than what it appears. Goes from 95 clear to 42 on the other side by the bridle area.

Beentown

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Would be nice, but being only 181acres and 40 of that under water dont leave much room to hunt. PLUS Mr Wistion ownes the west side where the boys camp use to be and has that under a wild bird sanctuary now. If they are even thinking about it, I would say its money motivated. There are not that many deer in the park, Most are north of 42 behind the soccer field and only go into the park once in awhile. I hunt the east side and see very few deer.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
He had the stats there for car/deer accidents on 42 and it really suprised me, and I wish I had them now. They did a count (don't know how it was done) and said it was over populated and that is why they wanted to do the hunts. You never know with the ODNR....Remember squirrels and deer hunting sucks because walnuts or some crap.

I thought the lakes were 32 acres in total?

Beentown

camofry

*Supporting Member*
They are something like 38.2 in the lakes. The deer being hit on 42 are coming from the ball field and up on top of the hill by the Jail. I got a beaver tag in there a few years back , They was over populated,(so they said) I got 1 beaver. I am in for the beaver draw again this year but dont know if I will use it if I do get one. I hope they do have a draw for the park, close to home for me.lol