Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunters and taxidermists

tuffshot

The Crew
After the hunt is done the next step is to have a professional taxidermist create a very special mount for the hunter. Each one is an individual and as unique as the hunter and the buck itself.
The mount is the final step for a memory to last a life time. So many do not think about it at the time but sometimes there is the shock of reality of, that is not really what you expected the mount to look like.

Just a few observations I have seen over the years for the hunter to look for when choosing a taxi and pose. For the taxi I like someone who is competetive and enters contest so others can judge their work. Their name and reputation will grow with this type of competition. Sometimes they can try and be a little creative and it does not always turn out as to what the hunter may expect. For some you get to choose a pose from a book, this does not always reflect on what you can expect. Hopefully the taxi has several on display, even works in progress that you can look at.

As for the hunter, do not make a hasty decission. Think about where your mount will hang and if it fits the location. Study other mount works and make an educated decission. Price does not always guarantee a quailty mount.

I think I have found a good taxi and will continue to use his service. But I would like everyones input as to what to look for when choosing a taxi and or pose.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent advice! Thanks for the pointers. Definitely something to think about. Once he is hanging, he isn't going to turn his head the other direction. lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Good advice. You almost always get what you pay for in life, taxidermy included. Don't be afraid to spend an extra hundred or two on a mount that will last a lifetime.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Great thread Tuffy! I would add that maybe over time guys post some pics of mounts they liked and why. Others post some they didn't and why. Taxi's fault or just a bad pose for the location.

For example: had a buddy mount a buck (151 inches) that had a REALLY forward tilted rack in full sneak (neck stretched). Well he has a hallway that he has them in that lead to his finished man cave. With the way it was mounted you have to walk around the deer now. He wishes he never would have mounted it that way.

Beentown

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Great stuff guys, for me I chose the pose for my buck based on the way he was looking at me right before I dropped the string and let the arrow fly. Agreed with others, you get what you pay for!

Huckleberry Finn

Very cool. Someone with a detailed knowledge of it should talk about gutting (caping, skinning) a buck that you want mounted...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Very cool. Someone with a detailed knowledge of it should talk about gutting (caping, skinning) a buck that you want mounted...

Just don't gut the deer too high.....stay below where the rib cage begins when gutting.

When skinning them out, take your time and skin up to the top of the neck of the deer, cut the remainder of the head off with a saw. Take to taxidermist and let him do the detail work....that's why you are paying him.

Keep your head and hide in the refrigerator or freezer....don't let it set out in the sun, duh?

Last edited:

tuffshot

The Crew
Spot on guys, caping is very important. For the new guy, asking how and what would be required of the cape would be a plus for him and the taxi.
Always wondered why a poacher would just cut the head off knowing there would be no way it could be mounted without another cape.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Alright, I'll be the first to bite on posting a mount picture.

This buck mount is my least favorite of all. The deer had a huge body (dressed 201 lbs) and a somewhat wide rack (19" inside).

The mount is in a offset sneak position. The taxidermy work is fine, but it just looks awkward to me the way it sets on the wall.

I prefer the upright position to show off the neck muscles mostly.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
On the other hand, if a buck has a particularly white "bib" or a double throat patch, you definitely want to show that off by having it mounted in an upright postion.....this is one of my favorite mounts

tuffshot

The Crew
Alright, I'll be the first to bite on posting a mount picture.

This buck mount is my least favorite of all. The deer had a huge body (dressed 201 lbs) and a somewhat wide rack (19" inside).

The mount is in a offset sneak position. The taxidermy work is fine, but it just looks awkward to me the way it sets on the wall.

I prefer the upright position to show off the neck muscles mostly.

Actually for the location it looks like a good fit.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Very good advice, if you don't mind I would like to give you some helpful tidbits.
Don't be afraid to ask questions don't be the guy that calls up "how much do you charge for a deerhead.............ok thanks" Find out why he his higher or lower. Not all high priced taxidermists are good and not all good taxidermists are high. If your looking for a new taxi call him up before season and see if he will answer your questions. Go look at his work then. If your standing there with the dead deer in hand he will tell you whatever you want to here. If you didn't get a chance to find one before you shot a deer. Give him a call tell him you want to see his work go over there LEAVE THE HEAD IN THE CAR Don't let him know you already have the deer, Ask all your questions and if you feel comfortable leaving your trophy with him go get it. Once again this way he doesen't tell you what you want to here.

One last bit as stated above don't focus just on his showroom mounts. If the guy competes he will use these for his showroom. Look at what he has going out the door. If he does compete this is a very good thing It shows he has interest in becoming better at his art. Alot of things you do for comp. piece tends to transfer to commercial Think about it like this have you ever shot your bow at 40 yards then when you move to 10 yards how easy it seems kind of like that.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have used the same guy for.many years ...but over the years I have mounted some myself. I am by no means what anyone would consider good. A few on here have seen some of my.deer mounts. Jesse being one of them. I like critique and it doesn't bother me when people point out flaws on my work. Because like I said....I just do it occasionally for fun. I can point out a lot or flaws in my work.
Here is a deer I mounted that I shot in 05. I built the entire pedestal and scene..along with mounting the deer. The post was an osage orange tree my grandpa put in the ground with his father many moons ago.
uploadfromtaptalk1355266893770.jpg

Here is another deer I'm mounting from Montana. I need to finish it ....it had an odd shaped rack. The beams didn't match at all.
uploadfromtaptalk1355266953511.jpguploadfromtaptalk1355266972211.jpg

I have a great desire to be a great taxidermist for personal uses and for close friends. I learn everything I can from any taxidermist I come in contact with. I spend a great deal of time at my personal taxidermists shop helpnig him skind out deer heads when he gets overly busy. Mainly so when I go on trips and stuff needs caped I know its getting done rt. Many times when guys are hunting with outfitters their capes get hacked because the outfitter is in such a hurry, not always, but a lot of times. I love to see mounts, so I like to pay extra attention to detail. Something that I have learned is not an easy thing to learn and master. BEcause its a lot easier to look at something and see the flaw than it is to mount the deer and prevent the flaw from occuring.

Like many said, money isnt really an issue, well it shouldnt be atleast. You get what you pay for. Ill gladly shell out 500 bones for a phenomenal taxidermists work. A lot of times the finished product doesnt look bad right after its been mounted..But time is the ultimate test to good taxidermy work. I Want a mount that is gonig to look as good in 20 years as it did when it was new.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very nice Zach! Love your pedestal work too! I admire anyone willing to give taxi a try. Very impressed!:smiley_clap:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I always liked to see other mounts that they do. I like to see fish and small game, birds, etc... Doing this might help you see how much detail they put into touching up stuff with an airbrush, how good thay are with the smaller parts. The small details is what makes a mount look great. I have 7 deer mounted on my wall. 5 by the same guy and the others are by 2 other guys I tried out. I will stick to my main guy now. He used to get into competitions until a few years back. He's been in taxidermy since 1967. His ex-wife who he taught still does competition and wins alot and is IMO maybe a little better. She get's alot of exotic stuff from Africa and all over the world. But she charges about $600 for a deer and it takes about 2 years to get a mount back unless you sweeten the pot for her to "prioritze" your mount. Maybe we should put a list up of our trusted taxidermist and some of his work