Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I need help Joe.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Is this a drop tine or a extra spike on this guy. Joe, what do I need to adjust to clear up some of the blurryness on this cam? I have got about 145 pics of coon over the last 6 nights and alot of them are blurry also. I may not kill a big deer this year but the fur shed will be full.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They look pretty clear to me. The buck is blurry because he's moving. That happens a lot with any IR trail cam... Not much you can do about it I don't think.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It's an extra spike off his base. You're shooting a 5mp IR cam in low light conditions at a moving target. With lower light the camera shutter has to stay open longer called exposure. In this case, the properties of the pic says 1/60th of a second. If the deer moves 1/60th of an inch in that 1 second the object will blur 1/60th of an inch. Note the trees are clear.. This compounds the closer the target is to the camera, or it's at least more noticeable.

These are from a 4mp cam. As you can see its less quality and will blur with motion.

But will be fine if he's not moving much.

Check the Firmware version. I checked some of the IR6 cams and they were up to date, but i didn't check the IR-5s. There is a firmware v 0.8 dated April 14th so I find it hard to believe it would have shipped with less than that, but it says "reduces motion blur"

To check it.

1. Turn OFF the camera.
  2. Hold down the «DOWN» button.
  3. Turn ON the camera while holding down the «DOWN» button.
  4. Check the numbers on the LCD screen. You should see for example:
    2010……xxxx……xxxx……v0.8. The xxxx is the production ID, and the last 2 digits in v0.8 mean the version is 0.8.
Here is a link to the updated firmware if it's out of date.
http://www.spypoint.com/software/IR-5_v0.8.zip

Here is a link to the install instructions.
http://www.spypoint.com/software/procedures/prodecure_IR-5_en.html

If it really bugs you there are a couple things you can do. But first check the firmware. Take more pictures per set. Moving it from 1 pic to 4 pics will give you a chance to capture him while he's not moving... Or run the cam in video mode.

Last edited:

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I am happy with the way it is. I just wanted to make sure it was not something I may of had set wrong.It takes better pics then all the other trail cams I have had.