Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is this?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Not really a nut, but mushy inside.

Attachments

• 0915111449.jpg
    0915111449.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 99

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Looks like a walnut shell to me, I used to have about 10 thousand of these in my yard every other year until the walnut tree was cut down.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Are they falling onto the ground from above or are they growing out of the ground?

The first thing I thought of was a walnut.....looks exactly like the outer casing of a walnut to me. Smell it and if it smells awesome it is a walnut!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
They were falling from a tree. I guess I should have taken a pic of the tree. The skin is not segmented like a nut husk. It's solid all the way around. I was wearing my rubber boots that have cleat-like bottom.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Walnuts are formed in a husk.. After falling and around now the husk turns black and rots away.. There is a nut in a very hard shell inside the husk. They are sometimes hard to see or feel when the husk is rotting because it's very smiley around the nut and you might think it's just a lump of shell or slime. But there is a VERY hard walnut in there.... Let them rot for about another couple weeks and go try again.. Pile them up and let the husks rot. Wear gloves or your hands will be black for a month.

On the tree...

On the ground.

The nut.

And no... Deer don't eat them... :)

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Mike, is there a ton of them or just a few? My tree in my yard used to produce every other year. The year it produced, there would be thousands of them, the year it wouldn't, we might have gotten a dozen or so, and on the off year it would be hit or miss if there was a solid nut inside the husk.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Take a whiff of them while they are green and still attached to the tree......aaaahhhhhhhhh yes!

The very best smell in the woods right now! I love the way those walnuts smell before they ripen. That smell is the essence of the woods. If there was a cologne named essence of the woods, it would smell just like that.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It would be for men only.....no need to associate women with anything outside of the kitchen or bedroom.:smiley_crocodile:

soak the hulls in some water . the longer the soak , the darker the dye . great for dyeing traps to make them dark . one of the pertiest stains for wood . you cant wash it off your hands . and deer eat them , ask milo.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
soak the hulls in some water . the longer the soak , the darker the dye . great for dyeing traps to make them dark . one of the pertiest stains for wood . you cant wash it off your hands . and deer eat them , ask milo.

When I was a kid, my grandfather made a little wood box with a hole in it we would knock the whole walnut through to "shuck" the hull off. Gram would use the nut for a fudge recipe. We would go for weeks afterwords with that blue/black stain on our hands. lol