Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rant..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I had a terrible time shooting today. First off, i have a copper john dead nuts sight, and the friggin thing has the micro adjust on it. And it decides to come loose alll the time, so every 5 shots im tightening that. Then, for some reason i couldnt group, AT ALL. Last time i shot (3 days ago) i was grouping the best i ever had. I could group the size of a grapefruit at 30 and 35 yards, and felt extrememly confident. Today, at 20 i couldnt even group that. Then i somehow hit one of my arrows and halfassed robinhooded, i'll get some pics up later. My second arrow just shredded the one side of my first one. So now i'm down to 5 arrows. THEN the fiber optic on my 20 yard pin came out of the slot on the pin, and i tried to put it back in and it broke off, so now i have no 25 yard pin, and probly have to get a new pin, and start all over a week before seasn..rant mode off :smiley_baby::smiley_blackeye:

Huckleberry Finn

Follow your shots through. Earlier this summer I was hitting a few great groups and then slinging some crappy ones. It's a mental thing and it improved once I focused, slowed down, and followed the target.

Get your equipment tuned up, season is just around the corner!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had a terrible time shooting today. First off, i have a copper john dead nuts sight, and the friggin thing has the micro adjust on it. And it decides to come loose alll the time, so every 5 shots im tightening that. Then, for some reason i couldnt group, AT ALL. Last time i shot (3 days ago) i was grouping the best i ever had. I could group the size of a grapefruit at 30 and 35 yards, and felt extrememly confident. Today, at 20 i couldnt even group that. Then i somehow hit one of my arrows and halfassed robinhooded, i'll get some pics up later. My second arrow just shredded the one side of my first one. So now i'm down to 5 arrows. THEN the fiber optic on my 20 yard pin came out of the slot on the pin, and i tried to put it back in and it broke off, so now i have no 25 yard pin, and probly have to get a new pin, and start all over a week before seasn..rant mode off :smiley_baby::smiley_blackeye:

Cant ya just use a 20 and 30 yard pin and split the difference for 25? Or maybe you do... I dunno.

That's how I'm set up. It must be right, right?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Ya i could do that Cotty, just never practiced it. And i'd honestly much rather try that than going out and buying a new site. Is there any way i can buy some fiber optic, or come some off my existing pin and use it?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Follow your shots through. Earlier this summer I was hitting a few great groups and then slinging some crappy ones. It's a mental thing and it improved once I focused, slowed down, and followed the target.

That's my biggest thing, my mental game. I get flustered at myself too easily. I just sat my bow down till tommorow..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You can buy replacement fiber optics for a couple bucks at most shops. It is fairly easy to work with if you know what you are doing and don't get in a hurry.

I am with Cotty, why just split the difference between you 20 and 30 yard pin. What is your drop from 20 to 25 yards anyway. Do you tally need a 25 yard pin? Just asking, not trying to make fun of you or anything.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Great advice, Huck. Another thing I've found, is that if you're shooting poorly and start to get frustrated, you're usually better off if you just walk away from it. Shooting while you're frustrated, and not mentally "in it" will almost always make things worse. I've been here many times in the past... I'm over it.

Like the others have mentioned, I have my sight pins set at 20, 30, 40, and 50... no in-betweens. At 25 yds, my arrows hit only about an inch lower than where my 20 yd pin is holding. That's not much of a difference... Not one worth it's own pin, IMO. And actually, when shooting from a treestand, it's damn-near dead on with my 20 pin because of the lesser effect of gravity on the arrow.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
No flutey you're fine, theres not much of a difference, probly 2 inch drop or so between my 20 and 25, if that. I'm get the bow out tommorow and try to do some shooting at 25 and see how it goes. And thanks for the advice JB!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
moundhill you need to get into a fundamental routine to pull your ship in the right direction..i have those times also and start back over with the basics. that usually calms my body and mind down. then i get back into reps and groups. a lot of it will focus around your grip and sight picture. using back tension or lack there of will also do that.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got back on it today, i shot my best at the 3d course, relaxed and had fun. I need to get over my mental faults, and i'll be right in there. My shooting still wasnt at it's top but i did decent. Thanks for the help milo, it helped to go back to the basics, relax and go throught the motions. I changed my grip last year from open hand to a loose closed hand grip and it worked out good, i used to torque my hand when i released but got over than when i changed grips up.