Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
After doing some talking (farming friends and family) and research it looks like the dreaded corn will still be up for the rut, at least for my area. Usually corn gets taken off between October 15th and November 2nd.

This year with alot getting planted after the middle of June and a pretty wet late summer corn harvest is going to be pushed back. If fuel prices were cheaper they could harvest then dry it but that is expensive.

Getting my corn game plan on now...

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The corn being cut up around JD and I is yielding about 60-90 bushels an acre he told me last night. Much of it is being chopped for silage. It'll be hit or miss with us but I think 90% of it will be off for the rut.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Easier than you might think Been.

Wait till about October 20th and get your scent free boots on and take a walk around the edge of the cornfield, particularly on the downwind side of it or along a woods or fencerow that borders it. Look for a large scrape or series of scrapes (they will be very fresh right at this time). Find a good tree within shooting distance to a good scrape and it will be game on. Oh, and make sure you devote most of your hunting time to EVENINGS hunting this type of setup. Bucks will be bedded in the corn, but they WILL come out of the corn just before sunset to run their scrape lines.

There is not a single tactic in bowhunting whitetails that I believe is more effective than this. You will get a chance at a buck I will almost guarantee it. You might have to pass up a few different bucks before the right one shows up, but if you are in the area of a shooter you should see him.

Hunting cornfield deer along a scrapeline is a very effective method as long as you do it at exactly the right time.....which is from October 20th till about November 4th. This has been very effective over the years for me.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH

Wait till about October 20th and get your scent free boots on and take a walk around the edge of the cornfield, particularly on the downwind side of it or along a woods or fencerow that borders it. Look for a large scrape or series of scrapes (they will be very fresh right at this time). Find a good tree within shooting distance to a good scrape and it will be game on. Oh, and make sure you devote most of your hunting time to EVENINGS hunting this type of setup. Bucks will be bedded in the corn, but they WILL come out of the corn just before sunset to run their scrape lines.

There is not a single tactic in bowhunting whitetails that I believe is more effective than this. You will get a chance at a buck I will almost guarantee it. You might have to pass up a few different bucks before the right one shows up, but if you are in the area of a shooter you should see him.

Hunting cornfield deer along a scrapeline is a very effective method as long as you do it at exactly the right time.....which is from October 20th till about November 4th. This has been very effective over the years for me.

Thats generally what I do. I prefer the inside corners over all.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The corn being cut up around JD and I is yielding about 60-90 bushels an acre he told me last night. Much of it is being chopped for silage. It'll be hit or miss with us but I think 90% of it will be off for the rut.

You want wet stuff for silage. We have had only one farmer cut for silage around me. And that is because he NEEDED it.

60 bushels an acre? WTH happened there? Our outlook is something like 140 bushels per acre for lower end farms...The good ones are pushing 160+ (102 day variety I believe).

So how much is left on the ground after chopping silage.They chopped a 8acre patch yesterday that sits between alf an clover...You think the deer will hit it or will they prefer the safety of the standing corn in other parts of the farm??

Thanks!! That was some great information i wasnt aware of

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Thanks!! That was some great information i wasnt aware of[/QUOTE]

Bucks are very patternable right during this period of time. You just need to find the right set of scrapes your buck is using.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You want wet stuff for silage. We have had only one farmer cut for silage around me. And that is because he NEEDED it.

60 bushels an acre? WTH happened there? Our outlook is something like 140 bushels per acre for lower end farms...The good ones are pushing 160+ (102 day variety I believe).

Very late plantings due to the rain and a long spell without rain... Many of the fields only have 1 row of ears on the stalks. Many more have 2 with 1 row being severely under developed.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Very late plantings due to the rain and a long spell without rain... Many of the fields only have 1 row of ears on the stalks. Many more have 2 with 1 row being severely under developed.

Wow that is unusual. Ohio (overall) is looking at another great year. 155 bushels per acre is the last number I received from the extension. That farmer is going to be hurting with 60 bushel numbers. Hell, that is a good bean field! 90 your still making a living...60 I am not so sure your making any money with the price of seed, fert, herbicide, fuel, etc...

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

Don't worry Beener, the govt check pays for the rest...

Gern that's magical advice considering that Oct 20th will be my first day in stand sitting over a corn field. It will be one of the first mature fields in the area but it will be harvested last (it's normally on the return loop to the farm for the combines). This piece of woods will be interesting to hunt given that strategy. The landowner has mowed a path back along the edge of the woods all summer and to the front. The sides are planted tight to the woods, but my stand is placed (for now anyways) over a small low spot that didn't grow well and often holds water - it is traditionally a pocket of activity.

Buckmaster

Portage
corn.jpg

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Don't worry Beener, the govt check pays for the rest...

Gern that's magical advice considering that Oct 20th will be my first day in stand sitting over a corn field. It will be one of the first mature fields in the area but it will be harvested last (it's normally on the return loop to the farm for the combines). This piece of woods will be interesting to hunt given that strategy. The landowner has mowed a path back along the edge of the woods all summer and to the front. The sides are planted tight to the woods, but my stand is placed (for now anyways) over a small low spot that didn't grow well and often holds water - it is traditionally a pocket of activity.

Sounds like you are all set up. Bucks will naturally travel those low areas by habit. Chances are they will make a scrape or 2 on either side of it.

Another piece of advice I can give you right now for finding a mature buck is to get out this weekend and search field edges and fencerows for an early scrape.....if you can locate an early scrape (mid september) this will almost always be from a more mature animal. I'm not saying you will get a shot at him early in the season, all I am saying is that you have located a mature buck's core area early in the season. Pay attention to early scrapes!

And there is no guarantee that just because he is a more mature animal that he has big rack.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wow that is unusual. Ohio (overall) is looking at another great year. 155 bushels per acre is the last number I received from the extension. That farmer is going to be hurting with 60 bushel numbers. Hell, that is a good bean field! 90 your still making a living...60 I am not so sure your making any money with the price of seed, fert, herbicide, fuel, etc...

Beentown

Insurance will still pay them the county average so I'm told...

So how much is left on the ground after chopping silage.They chopped a 8acre patch yesterday that sits between alf an clover...You think the deer will hit it or will they prefer the safety of the standing corn in other parts of the farm??

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The corn I've seen has all looked pretty good, but from what I've heard it'll be coming off late. With all the dairy farms nearby, normally they're going like gangbusters right about now cutting sileage... But so far I haven't seen a single sileage field yet.

Gern, awesome tips there, buddy. I wish I would have known you when I lived in Sandusky County... I could have really used that advice. It's stored in the memory bank now, though!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Insurance will still pay them the county average so I'm told...

Depends on what insurance they carry. There are alot of stipulations and types of insurance you can have. Some if you put seed in the ground you are out, others are county average with circumstances. If you wanna know more just look up:

Multiple Peril Crop Insurance
Catastrophic
Group Risk Protection
Crop Revenue Coverage

Their are a few more that are State specific. Most will be fine even in a bad year or two. The smaller guys that are mortgaged a bit are the ones that would have to worry. Still should be another great Ag year in Ohio.

Beentown

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It's the middle of September and I haven't seen any silage chopped yet, not even just going around the edge to open the fields. Usually there is some started around the beginning of September. the earliest beans just started turn last week.

As far as yields I don't see Ohio averaging 155, most corn doesn't look too bad but that is a pretty high # for Ohio in a good year.

Crop insurance, like all insurance you never come out ahead when you collect, it just makes the loss tolerable.

Huckleberry Finn

the earliest beans just started turn last week.

Saw a few bean fields at home turning over Labor Day, getting that yellow look but certainly not golden. Same farmer that planted the corn where I hunt, they got in quick this spring and really utilized the tracked tractor

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Beans started to turn yellow here at my hunting spot last week as well Sam.

I also noticed a small corn field that was planted just before we got hammered with weeks of rain is turning brown on the leaves now as well. Most of the other corn that was planted a few weeks after all the rain are still green. No cutting up here yet in any of the fields.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
They are full bore on cutting sileage here in this county.....started a few days ago. As far as the beans go, I will say there will be some guys running beans about Monday. Maybe 25% of the bean crop is close to being ready here.