Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions needed...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't know much about Maxima's, but I know Gold Tips aren't anywhere close to being as tough as any Easton Carbons. I've seen several of them explode on the range thanks to Wayne's superior shooting ability! :smiley_crocodile:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
maximas have a horrible spine range in my opinion. i do think gold tips are a pretty tough arrow. Might have some that may interest you tonight beener.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
OK. Was gonna ask you tonight anyway. CX seems like everything fits into the 350 class spine range.

Beentown

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Sorry about the hijack, here is the short version....... I found out the hard way that the broadheads I was shooting from some goldtip arrows that I bought dove into the dirt out past 20 yards....They shot perfectly out to 20 yards, but at 22-25 yards they dropped straight down at least a foot.... I don't know if what caused it for sure, but I blame it on the gold tips because the same broadheads shoot great on several other types of arrows. I practiced with them out to 20 yards and they performed flawlessly. I had no reason to believe they would fly erratically beyond 20 yds.

To prove it wasn't just a bad shot I repeated the shot about a dozen times and the same thing happened almost every shot after. I even had 2 of my friends shoot them out of their Mathews bows and the same thing happened.....

I blame it on the arrows. I still have the rest of them brand new in the box if anybody wants them.

Cost me a 175" ten pointer from 23 yards.......on the ground!

Here is a picture of him from last year after he was found locked up and dead...

Last edited:
I shot a 55/75(400spine) Gold tip XT hunter out of my buddies GTO..I missed an it went just a hair over 2inches deep into a 2x4..We had to dig for 20min to save the arrow..There was no damage(missing insert)..The bow chronoed 303fps with that weight arrow..I wont say they are or are not tougher then any others..But that experience was good enough for me..

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, fixed blade. I agree that the Gold tips are tough arrows. I thought they looked great right from the start, plus I know several guys that shoot them. I just have it in my head now that image of the arrow dropping just before impact and can't personally take a chance and shoot them anymore.

If you buy them just make sure you check them at all distances before you hunt with them. It's my own fault for not shooting them past 20 yards before hunting with them. I just didn't think there would be any problems past 20 yards.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Gern i think you will find the error lies within the human assembly and cutting more than the product but i completely understand where your coming from in confidence with them.

Yeah, fixed blade. I agree that the Gold tips are tough arrows. I thought they looked great right from the start, plus I know several guys that shoot them. I just have it in my head now that image of the arrow dropping just before impact and can't personally take a chance and shoot them anymore.

If you buy them just make sure you check them at all distances before you hunt with them. It's my own fault for not shooting them past 20 yards before hunting with them. I just didn't think there would be any problems past 20 yards.
If you dont mind me asking which model was they..Expedition,XT or Pro hunters??Or other?
Gern i think you will find the error lies within the human assembly and cutting more than the product but i completely understand where your coming from in confidence with them.
I agree 100% if your lacking confidence in gear its can mind fugg ya..I try an have my arrows cut a little from both ends,Use a squaring device on both ends..Then sqr the inserts..And of course spin check all shafts after you install your heads..Then when i shoot like crap:smiley_boos:(which is most the time anymore)..I cant blame my gear..

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

Really? Thats interesting. I bought them at Gander Mtn and they did all the work.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
X3 on Gander or Dicks. Was in there yesterday and heard the counter jockey tell the customer that it doesn't matter which arrow and how long it is....just use it full size! Lol

Beentown