Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beagle Breeding

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Long story short, (J knows the whole story) I was going to part ways with our beagle pup because she was being so destructive of our house. My wife had finally had enough. Well, we've been more attentive to her and have kept her penned up while we are gone and keep her outside most of the time when we are home. She has gotten much better!

She is a friendly dog with a great disposition and she is fantastic wiith our kids.

Now, she is in heat and I'm on the fence about breeding her. She has papers that i still need to fill out and turn in, but her old owner has the parents and they were from champion blood lines. She is a beautiful dog and I think she's going to be a fine hunter. I got her young in February so she's only been out in the field once. This winter will tell the tale.
This is her first time in heat and I'm not sure if I should just get her fixed or breed her at least once. I've never done the breeding thing, but I'm willing to listen to advice.
I don't want pups, but I was thinking about breeding her to sell the pups. Any thoughts? Anyone have a male they'd be interested in using as the stud muffin?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't breed her first heat cycle... Get her in the woods and see if she hunts. If she does, pick her cycle next March and breed her. It'll be easier on her as she's older, and she won't be with pups in the winter. Ie. You're not gonna be able to hunt her much. And you'll have to keep the pups in the house due to the temps... Plus you don't know if she's gonna be trash or a great hunter. What if you breed a trash female that won't hunt. You'll be stuck with pups that nobody wants to buy to hunt, and you'll have to shuck them as pets.....

There's four good reasons to wait till March. See if she turns, easier on her, you can still hunt her this winter, and you don't have screaming pups in the house. I'm a firm believer that good pups come from a good bitch... If the jip don't hunt I don't care what male dog got a hold of her, those pups will not be any good.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good advice... I wasnt planning to breed her this cycle anyway, so not a problem. How long do they stay in heat? These little blood drops are getting annoying!

5-13 days for the bleeding. But she can be be bred for 7-15 days after that.. The whole cycle usually lasts about 20 days.

If you wanted her to look funny you could take a pair of the kids underwear and put one of the wifes light day pads in there and slap em on her.

i fish with a guy that has akc registerd beagles ,i could hook your up with his when yalls ready , from beagles i have owned in the past , 3 out of 5 of my females hunted better after a litter , like joe said wait till next march , the pups will then be old enough to train over the summer months and ready to hunt by fall , and yours wont be prego during the season

Huckleberry Finn

We normally hunt over bitches, but the one old male Joe we hunted with years ago was a good one too. He had a scabbed tail and would always get it bleeding good from beating it on his side hard...the first time it freaked me out to see a beagle covered in blood running through the brush, thought someone had shot him.

I love rabbit hunting with beagles...always a good time

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We normally hunt over bitches, but the one old male Joe we hunted with years ago was a good one too. He had a scabbed tail and would always get it bleeding good from beating it on his side hard...the first time it freaked me out to see a beagle covered in blood running through the brush, thought someone had shot him.

If we get her going good come January and Feb, I'll have to get you down here. My old girl Daisy wouldn't make it through a hunt now, I don't think. Her hips are going... it's sad to see. However, she may surprise me and run good like she did at the end of last season. I never thought she had it in her still.

If Molly, the pup, pans out I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll have pics on here of her and the boys. Lol

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
i fish with a guy that has akc registerd beagles ,i could hook your up with his when yalls ready , from beagles i have owned in the past , 3 out of 5 of my females hunted better after a litter , like joe said wait till next march , the pups will then be old enough to train over the summer months and ready to hunt by fall , and yours wont be prego during the season

Kat, thanks! I'll keep that in mind when it comes time. Only thing is, this dog isn't AKC. She is UKC... not sure if that matters or not.

Hell, papers don't matter to me. My old one never had papers and I'd put her up against any dog in her prime. She was a brush buster.

ill talk to him this weekend , im sure he said akc , but hell when im fishing my hearing is selctive , he could have said pcp for all i know , anyway ill get some info from him on what register his are , when ya do breed her i would def be interested in a pup

Kaiser878

ohio
You shouldnt breed a dog untill they are 2, well atleast with labs. I dont see why beagles would be any different. THeir hips dont set until they are 2, and are still growing and filling out until that time. Its super un healthy to breed them that young!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You shouldnt breed a dog untill they are 2, well atleast with labs. I dont see why beagles would be any different. THeir hips dont set until they are 2, and are still growing and filling out until that time. Its super un healthy to breed them that young!

I have to disagree (sarcastically anyway.) Go to a Water Dog/flea market event one time. There are Amish guys walking around with wagons full of pups not even weened. I would have to guess they are running puppy mills breeding as soon as they are bleeding. Half the pups in the wagons were flea infested, hadn't been fed or watered all day, and looked like they were laboring just to breath. Those pups that don't sell will be breeding in 9 months. Watch them.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have to disagree (sarcastically anyway.) Go to a Water Dog/flea market event one time. There are Amish guys walking around with wagons full of pups not even weened. I would have to guess they are running puppy mills breeding as soon as they are bleeding. Half the pups in the wagons were flea infested, hadn't been fed or watered all day, and looked like they were laboring just to breath. Those pups that don't sell will be breeding in 9 months. Watch them.

Thats why I said shouldnt. hahaha THey do things a little differently. Dotn even get me started n puppy mills!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Oh male and female dogs can both be good dogs... But when it comes to breeding I'm a firm believer that you have to breed a good bitch. I don;t care how lights out that stud dog is, if that jip is trashy she'll throw trashy pups...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

Stuff like that makes me so mad!!

FredT

SE Ohio
So what is up with Molly? My girls want to come up and take her out.