Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I need TOO help!!!

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Ok fellas, I need your help! I am a Technology Education teacher( a.k.a "Shop Teacher") and I am trying to expand my curriculum scope. I am thinking about adding a Hunting Technology course that would look at the Hunting Industry from top to bottom, from the history of hunting and early tools to the advance fast paced world we live in now. What I need from you guys is different units or lessons that I could tie into my semester long class. I am going to put a presentation together and present it to the board for approval.

I have been thinking and I thought about,…….

Designing and engineering of equipment

Packaging products

Electronics equipment and how they work

Advertisement for products

Create a Magazine cover

Hunting articles

Making your own hunting video

I can break these down into much deeper sub units but I just need some ideas from you guys for other units to throw in there or ones that might be better!

Also if anyone knows of a school that does something like this let me know, I would like to contact them or if anyone has contacts within the industry that could give me more information please contact me.

Thanks,

Ryan

Huckleberry Finn

That's a freaking cool idea!

I would look into trying to partnership/get grant monies from ODNR for outdoor education...or to groups like Ducks Unlimited, etc. My high school shop teacher is a huge hunter and they made a freaking ton of bird boxes for local nature reserves, pretty sure DU or someone funded the materials

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a freaking cool idea!

I would look into trying to partnership/get grant monies from ODNR for outdoor education...or to groups like Ducks Unlimited, etc. My high school shop teacher is a huge hunter and they made a freaking ton of bird boxes for local nature reserves, pretty sure DU or someone funded the materials

Awesome advice, Huck. That is a great idea.

Tree monkey, do you have the students do any work with fiberglass? When I was in HS, we had an "second-level" shop class... in which a lot of the work we did utilized fiberglass. We built remote-controlled boats, which were powered by weed whacker engines. It was really cool. Anyhow, if you had access to fiberglass, students could build things like deer blinds, layout boats, maybe even treestand platforms. I always thought that making treestand platforms out of fiberglass resin would be awesome... lightweight and incredibly strong.

Huckleberry Finn

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Thanks guys!!...keep em coming......I am going to start emailing a lot of the bow companies, trail camera, and Gun companies for information and possible collaboration.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
I just have to make sure I am covering my standards and benchmarks along the way and I should be good to go. I am really trying to stress the design process and real life application.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
JB,

No we don't have any fiberglass resources, but that could be some thing that we look into!

With the economy the way it is and schools cutting back I have to keep this as cheap as possible! My goal is to keep it at $0 to do this, might have to get pretty creative but I think it is possible.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
With it being tech Ed, I'd say your design ideas are the way to go.

I'm assuming you are in charge of some computer designing?

If so, how about designing logos for products? You never know, if some good ones are submitted some company, like TOO, may use one. Of course, designing something for Tinks or something could get a kid paid. That would be nice.

I also like the wood duck boxes. Maybe the kids could research different Ohio animals and any artificial habitats that can be designed, build them, and install them.
Maybe not only for birds, but rabbits or something.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Thats the good thing we lost ten or so in one class this year in football to kids that would rather hunt....obviously not good for football