Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nut trees

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Before I dig through all the Google results... Anyone have a good reference site for Ohios trees especially fruit and nut bearers?

Beentown

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
No, but this might help you...

Oaks produce acorns......an easy way to identify them are white oak leaves have rounded lobes ...they are the preferred acorn over red oaks. Red Oaks have pointed lobes on their leaves.....the acorns from red oaks are more bitter and will still be eaten by deer, but will be passed up over white oaks.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Deer eat walnuts beener!!!! Doan let them fool you

:smiley_clap: How about Black Walnuts :)

I have ran into a tree that have me baffled a bit. I also like to have references for outdoor stuff and this isn't one I had.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No, but this might help you...

Oaks produce acorns......an easy way to identify them are white oak leaves have rounded lobes ...they are the preferred acorn over red oaks. Red Oaks have pointed lobes on their leaves.....the acorns from red oaks are more bitter and will still be eaten by deer, but will be passed up over white oaks.

Yep thanks. Learned that one as a kid. White men shot rounded bullets (white oaks rounded leaves) and Redclouds (red men) :) shoot pointy arrows (red oak pointed leaves). I just wanted a larger database.

Beentown

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Let me guess it has elongated leaves that are rounded on the end and come to a small point.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
It was the nut that had me confused. It looked almost exactly like a hickory nut but there were no "hickory" trees nearby. One that looked similar but not the same. The grounded is absolutely covered with the dang things. I know the squirrels won't let a good hickory nut go to waste. Well, thanks to the ODNR I now no it was a Hickory...a Bitternut Hickory. It is TOO bitter for even squirrels to stomach.

Beentown

Milo

Tatonka guide.
mountain oysters grow on trees shu?:smiley_confused_vra:smiley_confused_vra

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I nutted on a tree once. But it was turk season and I was bored. Just sayin.

Nice. Brings back memories of another life for me. Seems like an eternity since the wife and I could be spontaneous. Stinking kids are always around when we are hiking and camping now. No more nuttin' on trees for us. Oh well. Shit like that leads to having more kids.lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice. Brings back memories of another life for me. Seems like an eternity since the wife and I could be spontaneous. Stinking kids are always around when we are hiking and camping now. No more nuttin' on trees for us. Oh well. Shit like that leads to having more kids.lmao

Who said anything about a woman being there. Lol