Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ear corn

rossbows

Does anybody like to us ear corn vs shelled corn? I have heard some guys like it better than shelled because coons don't mess with it as bad.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I live by 2 corn fields, and we always wait till they cut the corn then go over with empty feed sacks and pick up dropped ears of corn. We usually collect about 7 or 8 feed sacks. It's free and easy, so it beats shelled corn in my opinon. It seems like if the coons want corn, they'll get it wether it's shelled or eared.

With ears
The darn tree rats haul the ears into the trees and eat it

I also have picked up ear corn in the feild
But I run it through the combine to shell it
I take enough for the deer feeder and sell the rest

Couple years back , we picked up over 100 5 gallon buckets in a afternoon
But that feild , a lot of the corn was down from the wind

John

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've used both, but tend to stick with shelled. I do have access to some free ear corn for a while, so I'll be using that for a bit...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have an old hand crank sheller. That's what I'm gonna do. All this coon hunting I do you would think these farmers would throw a hundred pounds my way......

Coon do far more corn damage than deer. But deer get the blame...

The local GW knows all to well the damage the coon will do to a corn feild during the Milk stage

So he will give any farmer a crop damage permit to trap coon
All we had to do was call the GW and ask , he never even came out to look

So I had Opperation Coon Carnage this spring
And will repeat it next year

John

rossbows

I put out two hundred lbs of ear corn today let's hope for the best. Seen awesome sign today while out. There was three rubs and a scrap by one of my tree stands. The two acre food plot was just trashed with deer tracks. Its all beans and they are mowing them off. I think opening weekend will be awesome.