Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plots look good

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
went down to the farm yesterday to check on food plots. Things are looking good. Several months ago I posted about a no-till method I have used once before by simply spraying several times and broadcasting rye and wheat. I did this on a gasline right-of-way on the Northern section of my property. Due to how far it is off the road, it is tough to get a tractor back in there. I sprayed 2-3x this summer and overseeded it with rye and wheat. I don't have any pics but the plot looks like a carpet of green.

My strip plots on the southern end of my property look great. I had a 3/4 acre pasture in red and white clover. I strip plotted it to the tune of brassicas and oats (mixing clover with the oats). The brassicas planted in mid JUly look great. I have leaves the size of my two hands and growth as high as my thigh in some spots. The deer are hitting the greens and I over seeded rye in the bare spots where the deer have wiped out the brassicas. The oats planted on August 21 are up about 2-3 inches. The turkeys did their part and left me with some bare spots so I took advanatge of how easy winter rye is to grow and over seeded all my strips with rye. Should provide some fresh growth.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No pics? WTH?!?! Lol... just busting your chops, man. Glad to hear the plots are looking good. Hopefully all the effort pays off this fall with a nice buck.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
No pics? WTH?!?! Lol... just busting your chops, man. Glad to hear the plots are looking good. Hopefully all the effort pays off this fall with a nice buck.

I forgot the camera. I will try to take some pics the next time I go down which will probably be towards the end of this month for an early season archery hunt. I tell you what that strip plotting IMO is the way to go. Frost seed clover in March and have a field full of clover come summer. Then plant strips within the clover with grains and brassicas that summer. This way you can have multiple forages in the same field. Plus, with a tiller, it's a one pass job. I planted 4 different strips in no time. By frost seeding clover in March and planting clover with your grains like oats and rye you will always have clover in the field. A small amount of clover can go a long way feeding deer.

Now in one 3/4 acre field the deer have brassicas (turnips, rape, radishes), clover and oats/rye.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I forgot the camera. I will try to take some pics the next time I go down which will probably be towards the end of this month for an early season archery hunt. I tell you what that strip plotting IMO is the way to go. Frost seed clover in March and have a field full of clover come summer. Then plant strips within the clover with grains and brassicas that summer. This way you can have multiple forages in the same field. Plus, with a tiller, it's a one pass job. I planted 4 different strips in no time. By frost seeding clover in March and planting clover with your grains like oats and rye you will always have clover in the field. A small amount of clover can go a long way feeding deer.

Now in one 3/4 acre field the deer have brassicas (turnips, rape, radishes), clover and oats/rye.

I'm planning on frost seeding a a ton of clover this year. I think you're on to something here, man. Sounds to me like a foolproof method.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I'm planning on frost seeding a a ton of clover this year. I think you're on to something here, man. Sounds to me like a foolproof method.

Frost seed red and white clovers. It works wonderfully. I have found the month of March to be the best time. Find a period when the day time highs are in the 40's or 50's and the nightime lows are below freezing. The ground literally sucks the seed into the top 1/4-1/8th inch of the soil. Frost seed clover at 12-14# per acre.

I have also heard chicory can be frost seeded as well (at a rate of 5-7# per acre). I might experiment with that some this year. Avoid frost seeding berseem as it is an annual and will die in colder weather.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Frost seed red and white clovers. It works wonderfully. I have found the month of March to be the best time. Find a period when the day time highs are in the 40's or 50's and the nightime lows are below freezing. The ground literally sucks the seed into the top 1/4-1/8th inch of the soil. Frost seed clover at 12-14# per acre.

I have also heard chicory can be frost seeded as well (at a rate of 5-7# per acre). I might experiment with that some this year. Avoid frost seeding berseem as it is an annual and will die in colder weather.

Thanks for the advice, man. Definitely going to give it a try!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. Glad to hear your no till worked. I have a good no till story I'll have to post in another thread.