Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

job as a hunter

swamp_donkey819

me and some buddies had this discussion the other day, if you could have a job as a full time hunter would you take it as your full time job, any animals that are native to the state, and you can keep or donate what you are able to eat, there would be daily limits as to not ruin wildlife populations tho. reasons why you would or wouldnt take the job. figured id see what some of your thoughts and opinions were just for the fun of it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Don't want to take a hobby which is something I enjoy and turn it into something that I would dread eventually.... I know guys who tried it bass fishing and it took the fun right out of it....

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I don't know about the rest of you, but I can only handle about 7-10 days of straight hardcore hunting. After that I'm exhausted and ready for a break. Also, being a pro has it's down sides with the biggest being that your separated from your family and friends for half the year.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Naw. I would loose the extreme obsession and I would miss the anticipation I'm feeling right now at this very moment.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Don't want to take a hobby which is something I enjoy and turn it into something that I would dread eventually.... I know guys who tried it bass fishing and it took the fun right out of it....

Couldn't have said it any better. I have to agree with J on this one. Sure it would be great and a heck of a lot of fun but what happens when you have shot everything and been everywhere ? Boredom. Then add in the pressure to produce footage of kills, Stress from being away from family and home for weeks and months at a time, Then add in a boss that you will have to answer to every minute of every day.

Sounds like a job now doesn't it. We all know that if our boss is an ass just how much fun and enjoyment they can suck out of a job that you love.

IF I ever done HUNTING as a full time career I would do an Internet and DVD only type stuff. Sure you might not make as much money or be as recognized as the guys on TV but you have nobody to answer to but yourself. Forget sponsors, Forget network bigwigs, and forget schedules. Do it for yourself and make it something you would want to share with friends and you will have a heck of a show and have the fun and excitement there every year. Some of the best hunting shows out there are low budget shows IMO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I couldnt take something I like to do and turn it into something I had to do. I have always been a decent artist, In school everybody asked me why I didnt want to go to art school and make a career out of it....

...same reason.

swamp_donkey819

both good opinions, see we figured it as just a daily job not like on tv but just like as you get up and go to work every morning, and yea we all agreed that it would get boring it would get to the point where you just be like oh look another deer, i think the only way i could actually do it as a job would be if i hunted as i do now during the season and doing all the prep work in the off season so i could still be anxious for it to start

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio

my feelings exactly, you would eventually get tired of it and lose the anticipation and excitement and it would turn into a JOB!