Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where Were You?

Huckleberry Finn

On that September day?

I was in elementary school at the time and the school principal decided to not tell the kids. I didn't have a clue what had happened until I got home and my older siblings told me. I remember spending a lot of time in front of the tv watching the coverage, knowing even then that I was watching something way beyond history take place. I remember being mad, and praying.

Tomorrow night I will be placing 2,996 flags with some friends for a public display and praying for a memorial service on Sunday night. I won't slow down for more than a few minutes this weekend to reflect, I think that's they way you avoid the terror that was caused.

Proud to be an American. Thank you to the guys who have served and are currently serving - ya'll are heroes.

swamp_donkey819

i was sleeping in history class, didnt even know it happened till the teacher blared the tv on and woke me up, i agree, proud to be an american, and give thanks to everyone fightin for the country or have fought for the country. have a close friend over seas now waitin to come home

Buckmaster

Portage
I was at work in my cube. I heard about the first plane. I thought it was an accident and dismissed it. After I heard the second plane went through the second tower I thought WTF,,,we're under attack. Around late morning Human Resources put a TV in the cafeteria for new updates. Needless to say not much work got done that day.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ft Knox Ky, I just finishing up a morning of NBC training. (Nuclear Biological and Chemical)... I walked by the break room in the building and the 20 inch TV on top of the refrigerator was on CNN. I passed by and glanced at the screen. Stopped. Backed up and looked again. The first tower had been hit. The news was speculating some type of accident... I knew better, as almost anyone who had been paying attention to world threats for the past 5 years knew they were planning on using airplanes to launch an attack. Even Tom Clancey wrote a book about it. As I was watching the live coverage the 2nd tower was hit. About that time people started to come in the break room and watch also............

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was in Econ 103 as a freshman at OU when it happened, but no one found out until after class. My next class was Political Science 101 and when I walked in, I heard someone say: "The Twin Towers fell down." I remember thinking: "WTF. They didn't just fall down...". When our professor arrived, we told him about it and he turned on the TV. I'll never forget the chills that ran down my spine and the silence that came over a classroom buzzing with talk about what was happening. He quickly dismissed us, so I headed for my dorm to call home. It took 3 hours before a line freed up to do so. We spent the entire day as a floor huddled in front of the TV watching the horror unfold as the second tower was hit. For my generation, it's the first life altering event that the vast majority of us will remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when it occurred IMO. That day had a profound impact on the first two years of my college experience and it helped shape me in to the man I am today.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I was at work in downtown cleveland. I heard about it, then we turned on a TV and watched the place hit the second one. My wife(then GF) called me and told me they are evacuating the colleges, I left work and met up with her and watched it all at my parents. I couldn't believe what happened. I was in shock, that something like that could happen to us. I though, America is the super power, how in the world could they let terrorists come and do this. My hear sank for those people in the plane who went down in PA, I knew it was because the people on board tried to take over. I would have too. There is no way I could sit in my seat and watch some terrorist try and take us into another american bldg. or what not. No way!!

My personal opinion on how the government handled it was "WEAK"!! They should have pulled every american out of that country and do what they do best. When we just gingerly went in, I thought, you have to be kidding me...Someone dropped the ball, What does this say about us as a Country?.......They just took out the twin towers and then dropped a plane into D.C!!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
I was just getting to work. As I walked through one of the patient waiting areas the news was on. The first tower had already been hit, but there was little information. A short time later the second tower was hit and then the pentagon. Being at a heathcare facitlity, the daily routine was suddenly a frenzy. All scheduled procedures were cancelled. The hospital went on lock down and the mass casualty plan was put into action. Spent alot time just staring at the TV in disbelief.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was teaching 7th grade Science and went upstairs to the office in between classes to get my mail and the secretary had it on tv.
I couldn't believe my eyes.

The principal, like many, asked us to keep it quiet so the kids would stay calm. I remember calling my wife immediately just to make sure everyone was ok. It was a vulnerable feeling that came over me.., like no one was safe.

When flights were finally opened back up after everything calmed down a week or so later, my wife, who was pregnant with my middle son, had to fly to Philadelphia for a trial. I was pissed her firm would still make her go.

Ironically, I'm showing my history class a discovery show on flight 93 right now.

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Was sitting on a bench in the quad as a junior at JCU between 2 classes. Business Logistics class let out early and I was killing time before a Philosophy class. I remember sitting there thinking "what an awesome early fall morning..." Going into my philosophy class someone said a plane hit the World Trade Center. I thought a cessna or something. We learned the magnitude leaving that class.

Buckmaster

Portage
I recall playing an APA pool league match later that night. When I left the bar gas prices at the local Speedway was $ 5.85 per gallon as a result of fear.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Listening to Howard Stern on my way to work. At first I thought it was bogus then assumed an accident. Opened the door and everyone in the office was gathered around the TV and we watched the second plane hit. I turned around and went home. I must say Howards coverage was great.

Beentown

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I was at a whole-sale mortgage brokers office in Cleveland for a meeting. We were told about the first one during a break. The second tower being struck broke up the meeting. I remember about 12 of us standing in the ex/vp's office watching the re-play of the second tower. I looked at my business partner and said "if we are under attack, a mgr city like Cleveland is one of the last places I want to be..." We left and drove the hour east to our smaller town of Ashtabula. I distinctly remember looking in my mirror as we left town and seeing what looked like "rush hour" type traffic (in the middle of the day)pouring onto the freeway behind us.
That is one of several life events I will never forget.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I was at a whole-sale mortgage brokers office in Cleveland for a meeting. We were told about the first one during a break. The second tower being struck broke up the meeting. I remember about 12 of us standing in the ex/vp's office watching the re-play of the second tower. I looked at my business partner and said "if we are under attack, a mgr city like Cleveland is one of the last places I want to be..." We left and drove the hour east to our smaller town of Ashtabula. I distinctly remember looking in my mirror as we left town and seeing what looked like "rush hour" type traffic (in the middle of the day)pouring onto the freeway behind us.
That is one of several life events I will never forget.

thats what it looked like behind me as well when I left downtown....

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Ill never forget hearing fighter jets crusing by every so often when all flights had been grounded. Dont know if they were out patrolling the boarders or what, but it made you realize the magnitude of what had unfolded.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I had just got off work and got home when the first plane hit. Actually went to sleep before the second. Received a phone call saying that some of the local firefighters were heading to NYC and was asked if I would be willing to go too. Our crew was packed and ready to go, but was not sent down. Columbus fire sent a crew instead. I remember it like it was yesterday. All the lives lost were heart breaking......but the 343 brothers that were lost that day was especially tough. Still hard to talk about without tearing up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I was teaching 7th grade Science and went upstairs to the office in between classes to get my mail and the secretary had it on tv.
I couldn't believe my eyes.

The principal, like many, asked us to keep it quiet so the kids would stay calm. I remember calling my wife immediately just to make sure everyone was ok. It was a vulnerable feeling that came over me.., like no one was safe.

When flights were finally opened back up after everything calmed down a week or so later, my wife, who was pregnant with my middle son, had to fly to Philadelphia for a trial. I was pissed her firm would still make her go.

Ironically, I'm showing my history class a discovery show on flight 93 right now.

I'm willing to bet it's about 90% inaccurate.... Bottom line... We shot that plane down.. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. What was done had to be done. They only lie because they don't think the people can handle the truth... And they're probably right.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I'm willing to bet it's about 90% inaccurate.... Bottom line... We shot that plane down.. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. What was done had to be done. They only lie because they don't think the people can handle the truth... And they're probably right.

I have no doubt that folks on the plane attempted to regain control but I am with you Joe, I believe that plane was shot down.