Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Aces and Eights..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well boys. I’ve been holding out on you and keeping these under my hat. Earlier in the summer a buddy was kind enough to get me on a piece of property over his way.. I wanted to keep it on the down low until things were sorted out and we figured out what was on the property. But I think its close enough to season that we can safely share the pictures.

Here are two bucks that I named simply the “Tall 8” and “Wide 8”.. I’ve gotten pictures of these two for a couple months now and they’ve always been together. They would show up once or twice a week and always at night. Here is the first picture of Tall 8 back in July..

We guessed him to be a 3.5 year old deer as he was seen last year as a two year old. Here is a picture of him next to a one year old buck that has loads of potential in about 3 years. But look at the size difference between the two.

But then his buddy in crime showed up and stood for a nice picture by the spypoint. Another nice 8 that I called The Wide 8.. Another three year old deer with some great width; however weak on mass and height.

Over the next month and a half I kept getting pictures of both bucks, The Tall 8 put on some more height and actually began to curl his G3s.. Just as I thought The Wide 8 put on some height, but was still pretty weak in the height, brows, and mass department.

More to come, including daylight pics, and getting ready to shed their velvet.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Kill them bastards!!!! :smiley_clap:

Don't be afraid to piss in the pool Joe. It just makes everything warm and fuzzy!!! :smiley_crocodile:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Man Joe hope you're on my team lol.... good luck with either of of them.... which one you going to stop if given the chance?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dude, I know this is primo real estate... but if you let that tall 8 pass without receiving an Easton injection, you will need your head examined. lmao Great bucks, man!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They are both great deer... And anywhere else in the state i wouldn't be on the fence about them. But in that area the devil on my shoulder keeps saying put the rammer jammer yellow hammer on em. The Angel on my shoulder keeps saying. Slammer 3yo 8s are buckzilla 4 yo 10s... Short of poachers there is reasonable assurance they will make it through a season.. Take for instance Moe... Jesse would have happily shot him last year and had him dead to rights to do so... If it weren't for a coat collar that dude would be on the wall and not eating corn in front of his cam. ... But have you seen that dude this year? SON! Moe, blew up into a very nice 4 yo deer.

Either way.. The real question is... "Are they even killable deer"

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Across the corn about 3/4 mile away on a neighboring property my buddy has a cam out along a creek.. We've been keeping an eye on this cam just to see what's hanging near the water. And you guessed it. Not only are the 8s heading over there too. They are also appearing about once a week during shooting hours.

Here you can see both The Wide 8 and The Tall 8 (background) are still running together.

And it looks like The Tall 8 is getting ready to peel his velvet. Now we'll see just how they look hard horned.

But.. If you notice the title is "Aces and Eight's"........

We haven't got to the ace in the hole yet.... ;)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Take for instance Moe... Jesse would have happily shot him last year and had him dead to rights to do so... If it weren't for a coat collar that dude would be on the wall and not eating corn in front of his cam. ... But have you seen that dude this year? SON! Moe, blew up into a very nice 4 yo deer.

Either way.. The real question is... "Are they even killable deer"

That was Crazy Rack that I screwed up on with the coat collar incident. I did have a chance to shoot Moe, but I would have had to forced a shot and decided not to. I'm glad I didn't now. I actually let up on hunting him after that (for the week following that encounter until I made my mistake on the 8th with the 2.5 year old) because I thought he would survivce the season. It was a gamble and it paid off. I know as well as any what a great 3 year old can do as a 4 year old. For me, it's a roll of the dice and I'll be doing it with Captain Jack this year. He's off limits to everyone but my wife and my buddy who is bowhunting for the first time this year. That deer is also worth shooting, but what will he be as a 4 year old?!? That is the answer I would rather see than to know what he scores as a 3 year old...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Look at it this way, you shoot what ever makes YOU happy... Don't listen to that other dip shit... He's all talk...