Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

climber issues

swamp_donkey819

well i traded off my fishing stuff and got a new climber, aint used one in bout 2 years for the issue of preventing them from slipping/falling. is there a way to prevent them from slipping or is it just bound to happen, ive tried on numerous trees and not all slip but alot of the times it did, and if it didnt slip the bottom climbing rack was always tilted at a steep angle which made climbing back down a hard task. anyone have any helpful ideas, am i doin something wrong or just wrong trees?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
It all boils down to when you are putting it on the tree. You have to account for the the way the tree gets smaller as you climb up. The further you climb up the tree the more your platform is going to point in a downward slope pointing away from the tree. So you have to account for this by starting with the platform in a upward slope pointing away from the tree so that when you get to the height desired your platform will be level.

As far as the platform slipping, I always just try to dig it in good before raising the upper part.

The biggest thing is to always make sure that your two sections are connected. The last thing you want to have happen is to have the bottom slip out and not be connected and fall all the way to the bottom of the tree and you are left there hanging by the top section of your stand.

swamp_donkey819

yea i can see where that would be a bad situation when the bottom falls and leave me stuck in the tree, as for the pre angling upwards i never took into consideration of that, i usually only go about 15 ft or so still kinda afraid of heights, should i still pre angle it upwards or would tha low of height not really affect that much since im not goin 25 30 ft up?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Another thing is, try to attach a strap from the top part to the bottom part, so that if your bottom does slip out from under you it will still be attatched to the top and wont leave you stranded.

Schu72

Streetsboro
All good advice so far. I always start my stand at a very steep angle. Additionally, I use a strap to lock my seat/hand climber to the tree. Then if I accidentally bump it when I stand to shoot it doesn't lose its grip on the tree and slip down making a bunch of noise and scaring the deer.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
My API bowhunter(no front bar) has a hole on each side of the teeth that bite into the tree. Once I get to the desired height I use a strap to secure the bottom and pull it tight so it will not slip or move. I also do the same to the top section, it prevents it from coming loose when I stand up. Look to see if there is any way to use a strap on your stand, it will help a ton. NEVER climb a shag bark hickory!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
SD I would always start out with an upward angle at the base. I would rather my platform be leaning toward the tree a little bit than away from the tree when I am hunting.

swamp_donkey819

awesome sounds like all good advice, like i said i kept slippin on trees which is why i stopped using them, no with the pre-angle wont it straighten its self out the first time you lift it up to start climbing ? i also i got a safety strap to use once i can figure out how it goes on me and the tree its one big mess, granted 10ft 15 ft aint that high its still not a height i wanna fall from. once i can figure out how to get the carry straps on ill try to use it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What kind of climber did you get? Not related, just curious.

In regards to angling upward, you will have to do some testing in your lawn or somewhere first. Set the platform level, and see how tight you can hook your strap. Now, angle it upward and you will find you can secure your strap just a little tighter. As you climb the tree, the tree thins as compared to the base. While the bottom platform might be angled upward at the base, it will be much closer to level higher up. I don't think you will find as much difference in tree thickness from 15'-25' as you will from the first 5' of the tree compared to 15' up. That first 5' or so the tree will be substantially thicker than it will be at 15' or 25'.

USE YOUR HARNESS ALL THE WAY UP! I generally hook on once I am standing on the climber preparing to climb. Move up my rope, move up the climber, move up the rope, move up the climber. I won't start climbing until it is hooked onto my safety harness. It is not worth the risk of injury or death.

swamp_donkey819

yea exactly i know alot of people say using those is only if you scared of heights but they way i see it accidents happen and you cant prevent them all, and its a direct outdoors premium deluxe climber, i tried to use the telephone pole out back of my house but it just falls when i dont put pressure so im guessing its just to small around to use

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I would try it out several times, from unpacking it and climbing up like somewhere in your yard. Practice makes perfect and it can help alot because in the dark its a whole lot harder which is typically when you will be setting up and breaking it down.

swamp_donkey819

yea only thing is i dont have any trees to climb where im at, ill try to figure something out once i get the carry straps put on and a way to pack it so they dont fall apart while walking and stuff like that prolly work on it somemore tonight