Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bow tuning tools?

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
It might be a little late to tune my bow, but the more I read about tuning and set-up the more I want to know for sure that it is done right...Gander Mt. did the first job and arrows are flyin ok and hitting the mark, but I know there is some tuning that needs to be done...So I just want to re-check things like knock placement, arrow level, rest position, etc...

...So in your own opinion, what are the best tools for the job? What tools are a piece of crap?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
what type of bow do you plan on tuning? you will need a press first and formost.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
what type of bow do you plan on tuning? you will need a press first and formost.

Thanks for helping Milo,

It's a pse deerhunter (yes it's a compound and yes PSE still sells them)...I do plan to enter the 21st century sometime but don't know when that will be...any recommendations on a good bow press?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
there are several out here depending on price but i mainly use my nighthawk press for at home simple stuff like string twisting and peep stuff. there are lots of tools but here it what i have:

tru center laser
g5 asd
arrow spinner
portable press as well as homemade. going to upgrade the home made one
set of string and arrow levels
small plier kit form harbor freight or crapsman
lighter and mirco torch
spine tester
bow vice
draw board( in progress)
micrometer calipers
labatts

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
there are several out here depending on price but i mainly use my nighthawk press for at home simple stuff like string twisting and peep stuff. there are lots of tools but here it what i have:

tru center laser
g5 asd
arrow spinner
portable press as well as homemade. going to upgrade the home made one
set of string and arrow levels
small plier kit form harbor freight or crapsman
lighter and mirco torch
spine tester
bow vice
draw board( in progress)
micrometer calipers
labatts

so this list isn't in order of importance right? (labatts is at the bottom) ....I was thinking of getting the string and arrow level as well as a bow vice in order to check a few things on my set up...Would R.S. levels be a good brand?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
thats not a bad bow, I had the previous version of that bow. the PSE Nova. It was a good shooter. Not a lot going for it in the speed department, but it shot well.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
thats not a bad bow, I had the previous version of that bow. the PSE Nova. It was a good shooter. Not a lot going for it in the speed department, but it shot well.

I was on a budget and it is my first bow...It's just not the most popular bow prbly cuz it's not even close to the fastest bow, but I'm making it for me until I can upgrade...and so far I've been pretty happy with it...definitely not very fast but should be able to whack some does with it...I hope! practicing with lumenoks, I can see a little wobble with my arrows, so I would like to be able to start ruling some things out.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i have the RS stuff and it works"okay" but i will be upgrading soon to the pro tune system. that list was generated by me running through my noodle as to how much shit i really have....dang. i like my laser center shot tool ...they can be picked up cheap for like 55 bucks on AT. it gets you really close. Its all important in one way or another so start shoppin. definetly start with a vice so you can start looking at your bow hands free.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I was on a budget and it is my first bow...It's just not the most popular bow prbly cuz it's not even close to the fastest bow, but I'm making it for me until I can upgrade...and so far I've been pretty happy with it...definitely not very fast but should be able to whack some does with it...I hope! practicing with lumenoks, I can see a little wobble with my arrows, so I would like to be able to start ruling some things out.

that was my first bow as well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Milo has pretty much covered it. I have something to add, though. I don't know what you'd call it, but I have this small pick type of tool.... It has a tiny screwdriver-like handle, but a sharp pick on the end that is U-shaped. I think you can find them in mechanics pick sets. It is pretty handy for loosening d-loops, pulling knots free, separating strings, etc. If you're tuning and you have a d-loop, chances are you may have to move it around. If they're on tight they can be frustrating to free up without this pick.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Milo has pretty much covered it. I have something to add, though. I don't know what you'd call it, but I have this small pick type of tool.... It has a tiny screwdriver-like handle, but a sharp pick on the end that is U-shaped. I think you can find them in mechanics pick sets. It is pretty handy for loosening d-loops, pulling knots free, separating strings, etc. If you're tuning and you have a d-loop, chances are you may have to move it around. If they're on tight they can be frustrating to free up without this pick.

My loop has been on there for months now and I've been shooting about 4 dozen arrows a week or more, so I will prbly need something like that for sure if I have to move it...thanks for the tip, that will be helpful...Do a lot of guys still use the brass nocking rings or is a string loop sufficient to maintain a solid nocking point?

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My loop has been on there for months now and I've been shooting about 4 dozen arrows a week or more, so I will prbly need something like that for sure if I have to move it...thanks for the tip, that will be helpful...Do a lot of guys still use the brass nocking rings or is a string loop sufficient to maintain a solid nocking point?

Yea, it's either move it, or cut it off and tie a new one on... all depends what you want to do. There doesn't seem to be many guys using the brass nock sets anymore, at least, not as nock sets. They use them to increase string speed by placing them in strategic locations from the cams. Just a d-loop will work fine on the string, as long as there is enough space to prevent nock pinch. Some guys tie in nock sets with string or serving material, and then tie their d-loops on around those.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Yea, it's either move it, or cut it off and tie a new one on... all depends what you want to do. There doesn't seem to be many guys using the brass nock sets anymore, at least, not as nock sets. They use them to increase string speed by placing them in strategic locations from the cams. Just a d-loop will work fine on the string, as long as there is enough space to prevent nock pinch. Some guys tie in nock sets with string or serving material, and then tie their d-loops on around those.

Interesting...I never would have thought about that as a way to increase string speed.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting...I never would have thought about that as a way to increase string speed.

From what I've read, it's all about placement. Put the nocks in the wrong spot, it'll slow your bow down big time.... But put them in the right spot, and it'll give you another 3-7 fps. Only a chronograph can tell you where to put them. I talked to a guy who routinely tunes Elite bows, and asked him where he generally places them on a Z28... He told me and I tried it. So far, it seems like it does have a little more zip. But I doubt I'd notice a small change in fps without a chronograph, so who knows. At least I can believe that it's faster lol.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!

I was thinking it would be a good idea to put the d-loop on so that when I nock an arrow, I would do so with the nock up against the top knot of the loop and the bottom knot of the loop would be about 1/4" below the bottom of the knock...hopefully that would eliminate any pinching.