Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Makes you sick

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is the story. Last year this deer made a few appearances on one of the farms I hunt. I have permission from two property owners. Two other guys hunt the property to the east so I basically stay off this property other than access. The west side of these two properties is better hunting and I don't want to step on their toes. One of the guys had a shot at this deer last year and missed. Not sure if it was nerves, hit a branch, or just plain missed, but he did not kill it.

On around Christmas I heard about a monster which had been seen several times in the open around a high end neighborhood. Mostly made appearances in the landscaping and ponds at night, but I know of at least one guy that got some daytime pictures of him. Then on New Year's Eve there was a story of a deer which fell through the ice and drowned. Supposedly an absolute monster of a six pointer, but I never saw any pictures to confirm it was the same deer.

Moving forward to this past weekend, I talked to the guy that missed. He saw the deer on display from a taxidermist at Max's Flea Market and Water Dog Races. He said he knew it was the deer he had a shot at when he was 30-40yds away from the booth. Walked up and talked to the taxidermist for awhile and was told it drowned in a pond when it fell through the ice. Confirmation that this was the same deer.

I don't think I have posted these pictures before so thought I would share them now. I do not have verification on these facts, but I was told this deer scored in the 160's as a 6pt and netted in the 140's. Supposedly the 2nd largest 6pt in Ohio and 12th in the world. Like I said, I have not confirmed these facts, just what I was told. Either way, this was a monster of a 6pt (with a couple kickers), and it sucks to see him go down the way he did. Sure wish I would have seen my buddy hunting the other farm with his hands around the antlers rather than finding out he drowned.

Attachments

• randys stand 083 freak.jpg
    randys stand 083 freak.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 216
  • randys_stand_2_034.jpg
    randys_stand_2_034.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 263

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It's a shame to see a deer like that die in that manner. There is no way that deer in those pics is a 160" 6pt though. Maybe 110" as a 6pt. Still one hell of a six point though, IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am with you guys. I was pretty dang skeptical about the numbers. Still a hoss of a 6pt.

Hmmm. . . makes me wonder if maybe it wasn't a different deer? I suppose it is quite possible my buddy was mistaken when he said this was the deer he had a shot at. For what it is worth, this is a deer we got on camera a couple times last year. On a similar note, I saw a deer from several hundred yards away on this farm last year which was THE biggest deer in regards to mass I had ever seen. Both tall and wide, with crazy mass. Never could quite tell how many points though which I felt was odd. Just looked like a couple baseball bats twisted into main beams. I am talking about the end of the bat and not the handle either. Might have to try and track down some pictures of the buck from either the taxidermist or the neighbor that took still pics of him last year. He happens to be my old Fire Chief and I am sure he would forward them to me. We might be talking two different deer OR. . . the numbers that taxidermist gave are BS.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here is a true six that I caught on cam in 2009. This is the only time I ever caught him.

Attachments

• PICT0112.jpg
    PICT0112.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 216

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm with the majority that although the first buck is nice for a 3x4 but no way he is 160 gross! Maybe 130...maybe. Mikes 6 looks like a 1.5 year old 8 point to me that would go 110 but could just be these old eyes of mine. Lol

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I'm with the majority that although the first buck is nice for a 3x4 but no way he is 160 gross! Maybe 130...maybe. Mikes 6 looks like a 1.5 year old 8 point to me that would go 110 but could just be these old eyes of mine. Lol

You are getting old... Look behind it grandpa...lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You are getting old... Look behind it grandpa...lol
:smiley_crocodile:Rotflmao!!! Now that's fuggin hilarious!!! Thanks JD!!! Some funny shit right there! Sorry Mike, for showing my age and stupidity! Now I see it! Yeah, that one big MO FO dat's FO SHO! I crack myself up sometimes!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be the echo in the room: Not 140 and damn sure not 160. Do the math on a 160" 6-point and you are scoring a world record 8 with no G3's. That 6 is far from that. To be a 140 6-point, he needs to be a 155-160" 8 without G3's and he's still not in that ball park. Damn fine deer no doubt, but I hope your asshole was shut because he was trying to shoot smoke up your ballon knot!!!