Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chigger bites!

tuffshot

The Crew
Ok, what is a good treatment for chigger bites?
Went to the OSTA State Shoot this weekend. The heat didn't get rid of the chiggers!
They must be attracted to white, cuz they ate my ankles up.
There are all kinds of treatments on the internet, from essential oils like Thyme to Lavender to Tea Tree oils. One guy want you to by his ebook for 9.99 and is 19 pages long. Sorry but it should not take 19 pages to say put "this" stuff on to relieve chigger bites.

What did help me this weekend was GermX hand sanitizer. Must got the little buggers drunk on the alcohol content. The little turds had a party with as much as I put on.:smiley_cheers:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Chigger dermatitis can be extremely irritating and uncomfortable. A hot shower or bath, with scrubbing as described on page 2, can provide some relief if done early in the itching phase. Once a pustule (bump) has formed, do not scratch it, to avoid opening the bite to possible infection.
Antihistamines such as oral Benadryl, anti-itch creams (camphor and menthol, calamine or pramoxine), or hydrocortisone ointments give the best relief from the intense itching associated
with chigger bites. It’s also a good idea to apply an antiseptic ointment to prevent infection, especially on bites that have been abraded by clothing or scratching.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Are you sure they are chigger bites and not seed ticks. I got into a mess of seed ticks this weekend and my legs got tore up.. I'm so doped up on Benadryl right now it isn't funny. Chiggers are bright red, seed ticks are black and about the size of a flake of pepper. Most people scratch them off before they realize it, and then since they have a bunch of red bumps they blame chiggers.

cortisone cream and benadryl.. About all you can do.