Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

great white

rossbows

Got this white little doe on cam last week. There is two of them on are farm. Hope to see one in twenty days.

Attachments

• 2011-09-03_21-21-47_414.jpg
    2011-09-03_21-21-47_414.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 292

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never seen an all white one in the woods but I did see my first piebald one last season.... cool photo....

Kaiser878

ohio
Got this white little doe on cam last week. There is two of them on are farm. Hope to see one in twenty days.

Your not going to shoot it are you? Is there a lot of hunting pressure? I would let both of them walk. I think it would be awesome to watch something liek that mature and possibly have more white offspring!

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Your not going to shoot it are you? Is there a lot of hunting pressure? I would let both of them walk. I think it would be awesome to watch something liek that mature and possibly have more white offspring!

The one has a fawn with her. Looks normal...

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Honestly, I wouldn't shoot it just for the sure reason it is a true albino. Thats pretty awesome to have on the property. There was one in our home town called "Whitie" and it was more of an attraction then anything. There was an unwritten rule that no one would shoot him. It was cool watching him grow over the years but he got hit by a car and ended that. It's up to you but from experience it was amazing seeing him from year to year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome pictures! Personally, I would shoot an albino, or even a piebald, in a heartbeat. For one, it would look sweet hanging on the wall. And two, albinos and piebalds are genetically-inferior animals.... So what's the sense in letting them stick around, potentially passing down poor genetic qualities?

Kaiser878

ohio
Awesome pictures! Personally, I would shoot an albino, or even a piebald, in a heartbeat. For one, it would look sweet hanging on the wall. And two, albinos and piebalds are genetically-inferior animals.... So what's the sense in letting them stick around, potentially passing down poor genetic qualities?

Actually they are not. A good friend of mine is super big into deer management and has a couple piebalds running around. He has spoke with several biologists about their inferiority and was told they will not mess up genetics at all.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Actually they are not. A good friend of mine is super big into deer management and has a couple piebalds running around. He has spoke with several biologists about their inferiority and was told they will not mess up genetics at all.

How could an albino deer NOT be genetically-inferior? It's a product of recessive genes, and is usually associated with skin and vision problems... along with other possible genetic mutations. If it negatively affects the animal, IMO it's genetically-inferior to the other "normal" animals. If it wasn't, there'd be a lot more albinos running around because natural selection wouldn't have weeded them out. Piebalds may not have all the problems that go along with true albinism... so the biologists are probably right about those... but albinos, yea, I'd shoot one in a heartbeat.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
How could an albino deer NOT be genetically-inferior? It's a product of recessive genes, and is usually associated with skin and vision problems... along with other possible genetic mutations. If it negatively affects the animal, IMO it's genetically-inferior to the other "normal" animals. If it wasn't, there'd be a lot more albinos running around because natural selection wouldn't have weeded them out. Piebalds may not have all the problems that go along with true albinism... so the biologists are probably right about those... but albinos, yea, I'd shoot one in a heartbeat.

X2 Im killing her, its not like its a 100" buck