Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plumbing???

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
What type of piping is there now. and what kind do you have to connect to? The best way to go would be a tip toe style rather than a trip lever.

I guess the other thing I would need to know is what has made you determine that you need to replace it all?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
What type of piping is there now. and what kind do you have to connect to? The best way to go would be a tip toe style rather than a trip lever.

I guess the other thing I would need to know is what has made you determine that you need to replace it all?

Milo, yes for a tube.

Steve, currently it is pvc out of the overflow and drain. They are not properly fitted pieces that some "gunk" as it was termed was used to seal pieces together. Those go into an old drum trap (probably the original galvanized one from 1940). It is galvanized out the other end of the drum trap.

Need was/is stoppage. Decided to use our home warranty to take care of it know the stoppage is going to be an issue due to the drum trap. Basically hoping to pay the service fee of $60 rather than the cost to make the system correct. The plumber that came out decided to try and snake it which made it now be stopped yet leak (he blew threw the "gunk" seal. Now to replace the entire thing to make it right with the correct fittings and a p-trap they want $600 and the Home Warranty won't cover it cause they say the "improper fitting" is the problem rather than the drum trap. As I understand the drum trap you basically can't snake through it. You could take the cap off but likelyhood of getting it back on is slim to none.

So though the plumber admitted to me he can't snake the trap (even though he tried) and who knows if the stoppage is at the trap or beyond the warranty company is saying sorry, won't cover it cause the fitting along the overflow/drain pipe is bad. Awesome of American Home Shield to stand behind their "coverage" and ignore the root cause. To make matters worse, the guy got his snake stuck when it went down the overflow and came back out the drain. He eneded up cutting it out and tore up the catch in the drain and scratched and dented the enamel on the tub (like a 9-10" scratch as he was trying to cut his snake out).

End of the day, I now can't use the main shower/bath in the house temprairly and have in-laws coming in for the weekend.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man that stinks Ryan. If I were closer and not tied up I would give a hand too. Sounds like the plumber should be making some amends for his damage. Warranty company would be getting an earful too. Sorry to hear it.

If closer
I could help you

You may need to cut a acess to replace the trap if on the 2 floor
Worst case , from below
But if there is a closet on the waste end of the tub
Many times I cut into the closet wall and sometimes also the floor to gain acess to the drain lines

Bad thing
Made worse with the timing

John

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Ryan, Does the galv. pipe run into a cast iron main or something else? If it does then you need to get your self a fernco adapter (a rubber coupling with two house clamps that allows you to go straight from galv. to pvc).
fernco.jpg

Find a good solid spot back by the cast iron making sure to leave a good 4" of galv to put on the fernco on the galv. Cut it off with a sawzall. Once you do this then you can put in all new from the tub to the fernco adapter.

I would recommend using a tip toe assambly for the tub waste and overflow. You can get them in a kit that is ABS (black pipe) or PVC (White pipe). I would personally use ABS as you do not need to use a primer before glueing ABS like you do PVC. The kit should look something like this.

TIp Toe.jpg

Hope this helps.