Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First ever groundblind, rate my setu

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Got a heck of a deal on a monster hub-style groundblind, and couldn't wait to get it put out. I had been debating on where I was gonna set it up, and finally got a spot picked out. The view from the blind is awesome, and should be great for Kate once it starts getting cold. As I said, this is my first ever groundblind, so let me know how I did. My only real concern is the shooting window is facing west, so you get some sun at last light.

Before brushing it in

View inside. Check out the tree I left in the corner for hanging things on.

After the brush

View to the south

View to the north

View out the big window to the northwest

View out the big window to the southwest

Western view

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks good, bro. Great fuggin idea with leaving that tree inside the blind BTW! I'll have to remember that one.

If I were to criticize one thing, it would be that I don't think you have quite enough brush placed around it yet. It looks to be fairly well-hidden now since the leaves are still green, but IMO once the leaves die and fall off it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. If you just add more brush around the base of it, and soften the edge along that tree line, I think it will look REALLY good... even after the leaves fall off. Also, try to cut down some oak limbs to brush it in. It seems like oaks tend to hold onto their leaves better than other trees for some reason, even after they die.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I appreciate the feedback Jim. I have plans to brush the blind in better once the leaves start dying off, just waiting to see how long it lasts as it is and how the background has changed by then.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I appreciate the feedback Jim. I have plans to brush the blind in better once the leaves start dying off, just waiting to see how long it lasts as it is and how the background has changed by then.

Sounds good, man. I don't have much experience with ground blinds for deer... But I have built my fair share of duck blinds over the years. Waterfowl are extremely wary birds, especially after being shot up in the other states before making it to Ohio. You quickly find out that what you think is enough brush from the get-go is never enough a month or so into the season.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
It looks like a good start, if I were you I would tie in a piece of brush from the top of the blind to hang down over that exposed window....even if you plan on zipping up the window. Just make sure you put it where you can still shoot on either side of it. I think this will help conceal the big opening a little better.

Last year I set a blind up in my back yard and used a lot of white pine branches and draped them over the top so that some of them hung in and around the window openings. It looked really natural and most importantly white pine branches stay green for a long time.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
More may help but by the time that the leaves fall off of what is already there they will be used to it and it won't matter. I have an abandon gravity wagon I hunt out of on occasion.

Beentown

Mao

Coshocton, OH
dude.. not trying to be "that guy"... my honest opinion... i would tuck it back inside the woodline a little more.. kinda looks like it is sticking out in the field and would draw attention.. i would also completely brush in the side windows and just leave the front open to shoot out of...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
dude.. not trying to be "that guy"... my honest opinion... i would tuck it back inside the woodline a little more.. kinda looks like it is sticking out in the field and would draw attention.. i would also completely brush in the side windows and just leave the front open to shoot out of...

Marcus, I would love to tuck this blind further back in the woods, but it's just not possible. This field sits on a ridge top and it literally drops straight off just inside the woodline. I was looking at it this evening, and it does need more brush, but I need to be able to see out at least the front side Windows to know what is coming. It isn't the optimum setup for a groundblind, but it's about the best I can do for this field edge. I guess I will have to brush it in more and go from there.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Looks good too me! I need to find a good spot for my first blind ever as well. should be able to keep a little warmer on those bitter cold windy days.