Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dove Hunting

Huckleberry Finn

Anyone going dove hunting this weekend, or in the time to come?

Never done it. Thinking about taking walking some corn fields with the shotgun on Saturday.

I hunt a creek line or weed feilds

If hot , I hunt the creek
There is a gravel bar that is partly exposed and semi open
The doves land in the trees around the gravel bar and drop in for a drink

In the AM or PM
I hunt a CPR feild that has lots of Foxtail and other weed seed
Scout and see where the doves want to be
Then I put up a dove tree with a few decoys and a spinner

Have fun and take lots of ammo
As they kick it in overdrive fast

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Love me some dove hunting! I probably won't get to go after them this weekend, though... Too much going on. I'll be at Pickerel Creek for opening day of teal season on Saturday though!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very addicting! Did it a lot when I lived in FL. ( you can field clean and breast em with out a knife once you knock enough of em down)
Can you afford another addiction? lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be selling tree stands at the Water Dog races. lol Good luck with the doves. I will be talking to lots of grungy dudes in overalls.

swamp_donkey819

cool, a buddy told me to use open pit bbq sauce and italian dressing and let it marinade but that was a recipe for deer steaks, guessin it would work on pretty much anything ill have to try the hot sauce one

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
cool, a buddy told me to use open pit bbq sauce and italian dressing and let it marinade but that was a recipe for deer steaks, guessin it would work on pretty much anything ill have to try the hot sauce one

Yep I use the italian and frank's on deer backstrap just to mix it up a little bit. Never tried the bbq sauce, will give that one a whirl as well.

swamp_donkey819

yea its pretty good kinda has a sweet and tangy taste to it, just kinda hard to measure out the equal ingrediants i usually start with a cup of italin dressing and just kinda add the bbq sauce to taste

4 of us shot doves this AM after teal hunting
As we we still in the marsh , we all shot #7 steel target loads

We ended up with 48 or 49
Great fun giving freinds a hard time for missing
Just before you miss yourself

John

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Guess what...it's been a year. And I'm thinking about trying it again. Anyone wanna shoot some doves this weekend?

Damn. Another year gone by.

I would love to show up with a couple of boxs of shells and hunt with you Huck but I can't make it.
I hope you get to go this year!