Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Killing / Observation Stands

Huckleberry Finn

Well today at about 10:30 am I went in to hang my killing set
^Rutin

I am of the opinion I am in the wrong damn tree to get the job done. When he comes from the southern bedding area, he is angling towards my stand right in to the weakest part of that set. I really feel I have no option but to move SE and set myself up for a 30 yard shot as opposed to the 8 yard shot he’d be giving me. I picked out two trees this weekend that allow me to have an observation set and a killing set.
^Jesse

---

These were from two different threads today, figured I'd just start another educational thread as opposed to get the others off topic.

Can someone explain this strategy? I don't think I've heard this before, other than them talking about it on Midwest Whitetail. Of course, just by the nature of the description, it's pretty obvious, but I was wondering if someone could flesh it out for me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For me, an observation stand is one that's hung with nearly perfect access and it's situated so I can cover lots of ground. The ladder stand at the farm you walk past on the way in and out is the perfect example. I'll never spook a deer entering or exiting that stand and I can see forever in all directions. It's also great for just about any wind but an easterly one. The buddy stand I hung this weekend is also more of an observation stand. Sure I can kill deer out of it (same with the ladder stand) but the biggest thing it offers is visibility.

A killing stand is one that's hung tight to cover, trails, funnels, etc. It needs perfect access, but it more difficult to achieve than with an observation stand. A killing stand will be in the "core" of an area, where an observation stand will be on the fringes of an area. Any stand that makes a great gun stand, is likely a great observation stand. But a great bow stand (one that forces deer within a 30 yards circle of it, and down wind) is what I consider a killing stand.

When I climb in an observation stand, I'm there to observe. When I'm in a killing tree, I expect to spill blood. It's that simple...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Jesse pretty much nailed that one. I try to have one observation location per each woodlot I hunt, that way if I haven't quite pinpointed the exact trail the deer are using regularly, I can sit back for a night or two for a little observing, before I go in too agressive and blow them out.

Huckleberry Finn

That's exactly what I thought, but thanks for the clarification. I ain't scared of asking a dumb question!

Is it safe to say that observation stands turn into good gun stands?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is it safe to say that observation stands turn into good gun stands?

More often than not, I'd say that would ring true if you're just looking for a gun stand that will put meat in the freezer. I like to have at least a 100-150 yard visual range in nearly a full circle around me from my observation stands. That's in range of my muzzleloader, so my good observation stands are great gun stands. For sure, a shitty observation stand will make a shitty gun stand...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
is a truck window an observation stand?:smiley_clap:i been drinkin sorry

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would call my "observation stands" more my "gun stands". Will work for either, but chances of success during bow season are much lower. Jesse covered it very well though. I also have a couple stands I might call my "rut stands". They are more in pinch points which could work for rut, pre rut, post rut, or any other time, but I simply try to stay out as much as possible because I don't want to mess them up. During the rut I would be more likely to sit all day and some of these areas could produce some dandies which you might not see if you over hunt it. I believe this is part of the problem I had in this woods last year. I think I over hunted it a bit in the early season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For me, an observation stand is one that's hung with nearly perfect access and it's situated so I can cover lots of ground. The ladder stand at the farm you walk past on the way in and out is the perfect example. I'll never spook a deer entering or exiting that stand and I can see forever in all directions. It's also great for just about any wind but an easterly one. The buddy stand I hung this weekend is also more of an observation stand. Sure I can kill deer out of it (same with the ladder stand) but the biggest thing it offers is visibility.

A killing stand is one that's hung tight to cover, trails, funnels, etc. It needs perfect access, but it more difficult to achieve than with an observation stand. A killing stand will be in the "core" of an area, where an observation stand will be on the fringes of an area. Any stand that makes a great gun stand, is likely a great observation stand. But a great bow stand (one that forces deer within a 30 yards circle of it, and down wind) is what I consider a killing stand.

When I climb in an observation stand, I'm there to observe. When I'm in a killing tree, I expect to spill blood. It's that simple...

More often than not, I'd say that would ring true if you're just looking for a gun stand that will put meat in the freezer. I like to have at least a 100-150 yard visual range in nearly a full circle around me from my observation stands. That's in range of my muzzleloader, so my good observation stands are great gun stands. For sure, a shitty observation stand will make a shitty gun stand...

Yep, and yep. 100% spot on. Well said, brother.