Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Week in Review: 8/20 to 8/27

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After a couple worthless weeks on the cams, it felt good to check them yesterday and see that things are picking up. I made several moves last weekend and I was pretty pleased with the out come across the board. The only major disappointment was not getting pics of the buck that was leaving some great sign on the edge of the bean field where the coyote video was taken. I left that cam there in hopes that it was just a bad week for that location, so we’ll see what the next week will reveal for that camera. The good news for that spot is I now know where the biggest doe group is coming from and how I can get on them when the time comes. Without further ado, here is what the last week had to offer…

I’ve been struggling to get pictures from the cam monitoring the activity around Paradise and this could be one reason why…

Thankfully, I think the fawn survived the encounter as I had pictures of a single fawn later that night who then returned a short while later with its mother. I have some serious yote issues in this area, which is hard to believe given it is more or less an “urban” area now with all the development that has occurred in the past few years. It just goes to show that yotes are survivors and you can never assume they will not inhabit a certain area.

This cam also gave me a look at a buck who will not receive a free pass if he journeys past Tracie and I at any point this season. I’m not TOO happy about his tine length, but he’ll make a great first bow kill for her. He’s staying pretty consistent to the area and with the food plot growing like wild fire, I have a feeling we can count on seeing him a time or two this fall…

I set all the SpyPoints on the farm to video this week and have since decided that I love using these cameras in this mode. The amount of information revealed in a 30 second video is far more than I get from a series of burst mode pics from my cams. This video of the yote made me laugh. I guess he wasn’t a fan of the IR panel!!!

[video=youtube;zJr2UGm3Xi0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJr2UGm3Xi0&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

Here is the doe group hanging around the new plot that I planted behind the buddy stand we hung last weekend. These does cam past the cam above and dropped in to the bottom within bow range of the buddy stand not 20 minutes after leaving the bean field. As I had hoped, that stand (now called the TOO set in honor of the site) is proving to be a great location already…

[video=youtube;ptShwIz79q4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptShwIz79q4&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

I hung this camera on a travel corridor that is visible from my best decoy stand. I contemplating hanging a stand in this general area, and still might do that. But I like the fact that Captain Jack appears to have come off the bean field, crossed the bottom, and hit this shelf to get to the bedding area just off Hippie Ridge. Moe was right behind him, but the video was not worth sharing. I used some of the new pre-orbital gland lure on an annual scrape in front of this cam yesterday, so I hope to have some results from that test run on the next cam check…

[video=youtube;b3EniJEwQ6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3EniJEwQ6s&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Of course Moe and Captain Jack made their customary appearances this week, so the pictures were aplenty. I also had a SpyPoint in the area capturing video and managed to snap pictures of the two of them enjoying the feed site on Hippie Ridge…

Talk about a great picture for a caption contest!!!

I’ve had a list of shots I wanted of Moe all summer long and this one is on that list. It goes right next to the picture of him with an entire corn cob hanging out of his mouth!!!

Here are the videos from Hippie Ridge. I had to laugh at the night videos where you can see the IR flash from the BEC hanging right next to the SpyPoint. All kinds of action going on up there!!!

[video=youtube;nlrrUul-kVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlrrUul-kVs&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

[video=youtube;91Cv0mjkdpE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Cv0mjkdpE&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The night time views...

[video=youtube;4x94yGOUj2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x94yGOUj2s&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

[video=youtube;5GTh-cUjTiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GTh-cUjTiM&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

I moved this cam to a mock scrape I started just south of this location. I used the Smokey's lure, so it will be interesting to see how these two react to it. All in all, I started three mock scrapes in a 150 acre area using the lure and hope to see some instant results this weekend...

Huckleberry Finn

Wow. In terms of pictures and videos, this was a great week that you've shared with us. Moe is an absolute stud.

And, as usual, the coyotes look bad! Seems like you could do some serious hunting and/or trapping this winter

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be passing on Captain all season long after thinking it over. I've been talking with Ric about his score and I'm not satisfied with what he'll score. As a solid 3 year old with great potential, I'm not going to end his career before he has a chance to show me what he's really made of. If I felt he'd net OBB, then I'd shoot him post rut like I had intended. But the general consensus is he'll gross mid to upper 130's and net around 130-132". That's a great buck for sure and he'd be my biggest net buck, but he's only 3.5 and that breaks the deal. Ideally, I'd like to see Tracie or one of the SR Outfitters clients kill him this year. In a perfect world, he'll crawl in a hole and wait until February to come out so he can fill the void left by Moe! I'm prepared to eat a tag this season in the quest for Moe or any 4 year old and older that I can get a history with. I still have a few deer out there that would satisfy me and I know the rut could bring a deer of a lifetime past me at any moment, so I'm willing to wait for that oppurtunity...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Captain Jack comes in Day 1 and you got a hell of a decision to make bud, the fact that Moe is making so much of a presence in front of your camera makes it a little easier... but damn... two studs!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Amazing the size difference in the body that a year can make too. Seeing separate pics of the 2 didn't show it like this set of pics and videos side by side does. (or I just missed it while drooling over the antlers lol) I think I would for sure pass on Captain if I knew he could stay safe. He will be a brute next year by adding body size and antler length and mass.

Very nice footage and I hope you can connect with Moe. I think he would make for a hell of a mount and story given the amount of history you have with him.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Gotta be pleases that they are still working in daylight hours.... Its always nice knowing that target bucks are moving in daylight and not just nocturnal!
Keep up the good work Jesse.... I got a feeling were gonna see some hard horned moe pics shortly into season

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I can't believe how calm those bucks appear in those daylight videos.....looks like a petting zoo almost. Unreal how many pictures you are getting of those 2 day and night. You are getting close enough to the season now....if those bucks are still there after the 2nd week in September you better get your tag ready.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Great pics and video Jesse! I need to get back out and switch my spypoints over to video...I like what I am seeing in their video capabilities.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse- These pics and videos are amazing. I hope you get a fair chance at Moe this year. No buggered up jacket issues. No hit by a car issues. You know as well as any of us that a lot can happen. I truly hope you get your shot at him this year! I would absolutely love to see you in the opening week holding up his antlers in a text message or on TOO!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse- These pics and videos are amazing. I hope you get a fair chance at Moe this year. No buggered up jacket issues. No hit by a car issues. You know as well as any of us that a lot can happen. I truly hope you get your shot at him this year! I would absolutely love to see you in the opening week holding up his antlers in a text message or on TOO!

Damn straight! X2