Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Food Plots

Buckmaster

Portage
I made it camp this weekend to finish hanging stands, cutting shooting lanes, etc.
I did snap a picture of each of my food plots. There is a ground blind or stand in each picture. How many can you locate? Enjoy, I know the deer are.

Attachments

• Food Plot 5.jpg
    Food Plot 5.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Food Plot 6.jpg
    Food Plot 6.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Food Plot 1.jpg
    Food Plot 1.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Food Plot 4.jpg
    Food Plot 4.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Food Plot 2.jpg
    Food Plot 2.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Food Plot 7.jpg
    Food Plot 7.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 173
  • Food Plot 3.jpg
    Food Plot 3.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 165

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
They all look great. Gotta like the growth you are getting with all of the rain we have had this year. What types of seed did you plant? Without a closeup view it looks like some brassica/turnip, some grain, and clover? Nice setups too.

Buckmaster

Portage
What types of seed did you plant? Without a closeup view it looks like some brassica/turnip, some grain, and clover?

They are all a mix of: white clover, red clover, winter rye, oats, peas, rape, and purple top turnip. They were all planted in late July so they have had a month's growth thus far.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You must have timed the plantings just perfect! They look awesome. I spotted blinds or stands in 5/7 pictures.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yea dude, those are some great looking plots! Are they all the same seed mixture? If so, can you tell us what the mixes were in # per acre. I'm always trying to learn new seed blends... And those that you planted look amazing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm gonna get with you on this in the spring if you'd be willing to lend some advice. I'll be drastically increasing the amount of planted ground next year and would love to plant something similar to this...

Buckmaster

Portage
Are they all the same seed mixture?

Yes, Jim. One is a trial plot (with the elevated tower stand) of Antler King Red Zone. My deer didn't even let that come up. They ate every single soybean and pea top. Fortunately I mixed white and red clover with it so I'll have clover in the Spring.

The small one (with the ground blind on the knoll) is strictly white clover.

The other five plots is a homebrew combination of: Winter Rye (56#), Forage Oats (50#), Winter Peas (20#), Red Clover (12#), White Clover (8#), Rape (6#), and Purple Top Turnips (6#) per acre. With these plots my annuals will die off during this winter but the clover seed within should produce a nice thick turkey plot in the Spring.

The above combination was derived from my knowledge along with Darron's seed combinations I acquired from him.

I found my best deal on seed at Western Reserve Landmark here in Ravenna. My seed cost was close to $ 700.00 to complete my job. I favor seeding about twice the recommened rates to aid proper germination and production of maximum tonnage. I'd estimate my deer herd at 35 head per hundred acres.

I can't stress enough how important herbicide weed removal is before this process begins. These plots were disced and planted between July 23rd and were completed August 13th. Spraying began in April. PH balance is another key and can be addressed with lime. Since I was over budget on my seed I did not incoporate fertilizer in the plan this year. The best cost for 5-20-20 was around $ 17.50 per 50 pound bag. That's wallet killer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, Jim. One is a trial plot (with the elevated tower stand) of Antler King Red Zone. My deer didn't even let that come up. They ate every single soybean and pea top. Fortunately I mixed white and red clover with it so I'll have clover in the Spring.

The small one (with the ground blind on the knoll) is strictly white clover.

The other five plots is a homebrew combination of: Winter Rye (56#), Forage Oats (50#), Winter Peas (20#), Red Clover (12#), White Clover (8#), Rape (6#), and Purple Top Turnips (6#) per acre. With these plots my annuals will die off during this winter but the clover seed within should produce a nice thick turkey plot in the Spring.

The above combination was derived from my knowledge along with Darron's seed combinations I acquired from him.

I found my best deal on seed at Western Reserve Landmark here in Ravenna. My seed cost was close to $ 700.00 to complete my job. I favor seeding about twice the recommened rates to aid proper germination and production of maximum tonnage. I'd estimate my deer herd at 35 head per hundred acres.

I can't stress enough how important herbicide weed removal is before this process begins. These plots were disced and planted between July 23rd and were completed August 13th. Spraying began in April. PH balance is another key and can be addressed with lime. Since I was over budget on my seed I did not incoporate fertilizer in the plan this year. The best cost for 5-20-20 was around $ 17.50 per 50 pound bag. That's wallet killer.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very nice looking plots man! Dang, I'm impressed! I'm with Jesse, those fields look damn edible! Great job and thankss for the added info in response to Jims question.

Huckleberry Finn

We've seen Kip Campell's cereal bowl commercial, but now we need the TOO version of a few guys on all fours munchin down on that stuff!