Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Does with fawns

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Is opening day too soon to shoot a doe with fawns? Both of the does I shot last year, Oct. 13th and Nov. 10th had fawns, but I felt the fawns were fine by themselves.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
That seems like more of an ethical question. Chances are a fawn will be adopted by another doe that either didnt have a fawn or her fawn was killed by a car or predator. I passed a doe last year because she had a fawn with her. Later i was kicking myself, Its tough getting a deer in bow range at all around here. If the opportunity arises again this year I might just swallow it and send an arrow. Ultimately its up to you, but odds are the fawn will be ok.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I passed the same doe dante is talking about the first day of bow season last year. her fawn still had spots and I decided to let her pass. I see a doe and fawn with NO spots this year and momma is getting hammered with a slick trick lol.

IMO come opening day , a fawn will be old enough to surive alone

I may pass if the fawn is super small or still has spots

But I have no problems shooting a doe when it has a decent sized fawn

Or if you don't want to shoot the doe
Shoot the fawn , they are great eating

John

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks guys. I just pulled my card and have video of the fawns eating apples and they have no spots.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Last year on second morning of season I was full draw on an old Doe I knew. All of a sudden here comes a button buck fawn behind her and he was red as hell with spots. I let them walk. That evening I'm in same stand and that's when I had my 12 point walk the same trail right underneath me. Was it good Karma? Maybe

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I'm fighting with this same question. I just don't know if I can pull the trigger if there's a little one or two with her. I never thought I would say that, but for some reason I am second guessing it this year. I guess I will find out come opening weekend. I can't hunt until Sunday night of opening weekend so we'll c. To each their own, and I don't think a hunter should have to worry about that fawn staying alive. They're built for it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got no problem orphaning a fawn or two on opening day. They're wild animals... they'll survive just fine.