Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

when to start rattling

swamp_donkey819

ive never used rattling antlers, but hear they make a big difference in the woods, so was kinda curious on everyones thoughts about when to start rattling, like month and how long should a rattle last, use calls in between or not

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
around here ratteling isnt very affective, to many does, the bucks dont really have to fight over them. But in an area with a good doe to buck ratio it works good during the first stages of the rut. you might try it around the first and second week of november. It stands to reason that if to bucks are about to square off they would probably be grunting and wheezing at each other as well. And the winner might just grunt a few times after the battle is over.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not a pro at it and have had mixed results.... but start off light and make it progressively stronger and I usually do it when I start too see the small bucks chasing does around..... I use a rattle bag not the antlers.... I just have too invest in a new grunt call.... mine is old and worn out too the point it sounds like a retarded deer if you blow too hard.....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Like Dante said, around our area it doesn't seem to be very effective at all. No competition needed with buck to doe ratio a little messed up. I have only ever seen bucks square off 2x from stand in my 22+ years of hunting. Neither time can I remember hearing them make any noise other then the antlers slamming around. Each fight only lasted about a minute but boy was it fun to watch. Both encounters was back in the early 90's and I haven't seen it since around here. If I remember right it was late October when those bucks squared off. The first 2 was just them in a drainage of a field and the other 2 bucks was fighting over a doe back in the woods. Like I said, they made no noise before or after the fight.

The only time I have heard a buck make any noise was during early November chasing a doe across a clover field. Tending grunts as he chased that poor doe all morning lol.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The only time I have heard a buck make any noise was during early November chasing a doe across a clover field. Tending grunts as he chased that poor doe all morning lol.

Wow! You surprised me with that one Adam. I have not been hunting deer anywhere close to as long as you have and I have heard plenty of grunts. Usually during rut or pre-rut with bucks chasing, but every now and then when hunting in close to a bedding area I have heard them. Early morning crisp air with a fog and silhouttes in the thick stuff is an awesome time to hear a big ol' grunt 50-100yds away!

I try my best not to overdo any grunts or rattling. Rattling has been successful for me, but more times than not I do NOT have any success with it. Timing is critical, and they have to be within earshot. They also have to be receptive. If a buck isn't interested in scrapping, I just don't think it is going to work. I have a couple areas I hunt with many more does than bucks and it is a waste of time. I have one property where rattling has been effective and it can be exciting!

I would say late October through mid-November are probably the prime times to try rattling. I usually mix in some grunts with my rattling, but like I said, I have had more times unsuccessful by a long shot than I have had success.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never heard a big buck grunt. Just the small ones. And the small ones do it a lot...

I should add to my reply. The grunts I have heard AND seen the buck doing it were all small deer. I have heard a few without seeing the deer making the grunt in the early morning hours which sounded big. I guess without seeing what deer is making the grunt it is tough to say "big ol grunt". The small ones I have seen do it were following a doe or following a trail a doe had taken earlier and it was like they were just begging for the doe's attention. Reminded me of myself in high school. Mostly unsuccessful.:smiley_crocodile:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wow! You surprised me with that one Adam. I have not been hunting deer anywhere close to as long as you have and I have heard plenty of grunts. Usually during rut or pre-rut with bucks chasing, but every now and then when hunting in close to a bedding area I have heard them. Early morning crisp air with a fog and silhouttes in the thick stuff is an awesome time to hear a big ol' grunt 50-100yds away!

I'm telling you, the bucks here are strange creatures. They circle like sharks and by that I mean they take a week long venture in a big ol circle. You can't pattern these bucks by a daily appearance because they just don't do it. They will show up once a week on cam and if your REALLY LUCKY 2x a week. They make no noise at all. They don't even spar that I have heard or seen. I have heard fawns and does call for one another many times but the bucks, forget it. They fly under the radar and slip in and right back out and if it wasn't for rubs and trail cam pics I would swear there wasn't any bucks here.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a big old response typed up and my phone shit all over itself. Long story short, rattling doesn't work in 99% of Ohio IMO and it's a waste of time and effort. I think you're better off to leave the noise and movement to the professionals...

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I had a big old response typed up and my phone shit all over itself. Long story short, rattling doesn't work in 99% of Ohio IMO and it's a waste of time and effort. I think you're better off to leave the noise and movement to the professionals...

That's the way I like it. Straight and too the point... lol... Agree 100%

swamp_donkey819

so basically its a dead mission because of the ratio of does to to bucks, makes sense. i always just thought it was the common thing to do like a part of hunting, had no idea the population and ratio had a big affect on it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I pretty much agree with Jesse using rattling as an example. I have had great luck with grunting and bleating. But for big bucks to bite it has to be perfect timing. I leave most of it in the bag unless I KNOW the rut is in full swing. Then I do it midday on slow days just to try and get a reaction.

When I do grunt it is trying to replicate that of a younger, up and comer. Anytime I have tried those "mature" buck grunts. I have seen the actual GTFOOD, visceral reaction.

Beentown

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
around here ratteling isnt very affective, to many does, the bucks dont really have to fight over them. But in an area with a good doe to buck ratio it works good during the first stages of the rut. you might try it around the first and second week of november. It stands to reason that if to bucks are about to square off they would probably be grunting and wheezing at each other as well. And the winner might just grunt a few times after the battle is over.
Same here. I've never seen or heard any bucks sparring while in stand.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've heard them sparring a couple of times over the years and watched it go on for a few minutes years ago between two decent bucks..... was a sight for sure.... have seen young bucks grunting after does a lot over the years and they sound like friggin pigs :smiley_clap:.....

I have rattled in a number of bucks
Including 3 or 4 that I have killed

For me in NW Ohio , I have had great luck from mid Oct - early to mid Nov

Last year I called in 2 bucks the last week end in Oct at the same time
They both apeared to be 2 1/2 year old 8 points that I had already passed on

They decided to get in a pushing match right next to my tree stand

I have heard a number of bucks grunting as they looked for does

Years ago ......probely mid 90's we had a early snow that stayed around for a while
It was on the ground the first Sat in Nov
Paul , My hunting partner at the time and I both shot decent 8 points that AM that we tag teamed
We no more than got set up when he grunted/rattled when my buck came charging acrost the woods

I clean missed the first shot
But the 2 shot at 8 - 10 feet from a ground blind was true
It never made it past 50 yds before pileing up

We moved to the next spot and I grunted/rattled in another that ran up and went to work trashing a bush
Paul had a easy 15 yd shot

I remember the date , as I was suposed to go to my brothers birthday party
But I was late

John

Darron

Dayton, Ohio

I've been deer hunting now for going on 20 years and I have yet to rattle in a buck. A buddy of mine rattles one in every year, but totally different part of the state (fewer deer). I feel the doe to buck ratio has something to do with it.

I still take a rattle bag and grunt call with me in case I see a buck out of range and try to turn him. But that's the extent of it.