Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plot update - Brassicas

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Went down to check on my food plots and pull memory cards yesterday. Unfortunately, the brassicas are not doing well at all. To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. The new plot behind the barn has virtually nothing growing and the other one isn't much better. We've had great weather for growing and I fertilized.... The only thing I can figure is that the seeds were buried too deep. I disked, drug, planted, then packed with 4wheeler tires. Looking back, I should've probably packed before seeding, and then packed again. I don't know. We had a REALLY hard rain the night that I planted, so I'm sure that didn't help much either. Oh well, I guess I'll be going down in the next week or two to fill in the open areas with oats and rye.

Pictures of disgrace......

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I feel your pain. Ours is just starting to pop now. Hoping it really starts to take off soon or the weeds and grasses are going to slide back into there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
as you know brassica seeds are very small. They only need to be planted 1/8" inch deep.

Yea.... Not firming up the soil BEFORE broadcasting probably hurt me on this one. Mark my words, next year I WILL have a cultipacker in my food plotting arsenal!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
That stinks. I hate to see your efforts wasted. At least you'll still have time for great plots with the oats and rye.

Buckmaster

Portage
Jim- was a soil test done and appropriate lime added before planting?

The fortunate thing is timing. You have plenty of time to put an annual down such as winter rye and/or oats.

I had some success on some bare spots in my plots two weeks ago. I threw and grew (frost seeding technique) some white clover. It's 3-4 inches tall now in that area.

Watch the weather and throw and grow before the next rains.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
cultipacker is nice, but not always necessary. A drag can do the same thing even allowing the tiller to run freely as you slowly go over the plot will firm it up enough. If the plot is small enough running over it with tires will do it too.

BUddy I plant with never firms up his plots and his brassicas turn out great most years. He simply tills and I go in behind and broadcast seed. The stuff usually shoots out of the ground. I've had several brassica failures due to planting them too deep.

I have even tilled, waited several weeks for rain to firm up the soil and planted with great results.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim- was a soil test done and appropriate lime added before planting?

The fortunate thing is timing. You have plenty of time to put an annual down such as winter rye and/or oats.

I had some success on some bare spots in my plots two weeks ago. I threw and grew (frost seeding technique) some white clover. It's 3-4 inches tall now in that area.

Watch the weather and throw and grow before the next rains.

No, unfortunately I never had the soil tested. This could very well be the problem. But I figured if it WAS the problem, I'd at least see some germination taking place. The bare spots in the plots are simply void of any brassica sprouts at all. Where it IS growing, it doesn't look too bad. I'll be throwing down oats and rye in the bare spots within the next week or two. I don't think it's going to be a total loss... Just not as nice as I had hoped.

cultipacker is nice, but not always necessary. A drag can do the same thing even allowing the tiller to run freely as you slowly go over the plot will firm it up enough. If the plot is small enough running over it with tires will do it too.

BUddy I plant with never firms up his plots and his brassicas turn out great most years. He simply tills and I go in behind and broadcast seed. The stuff usually shoots out of the ground. I've had several brassica failures due to planting them too deep.

I have even tilled, waited several weeks for rain to firm up the soil and planted with great results.

Now that's interesting. I wish I would have been able to look into the future, then I would've run a test... firming up half the plot and not doing so on the other half, then seeing which side grew the best. I'm going to have to remember that for next year. It's just frustrating right now... But then again, this sort of thing happens in food plotting... it's just a matter of time I suppose. I just have to learn from the mistakes.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
still plenty of time to redo. i disagree with darron on the cultipacker but to each their own. I just know the huge difference we see cultipacking versus any other method. cultipackers ensure uniform seed depth and superior soil to seed contact. both are necessary for proper germination. I would try some lime next time and see if that improves growth.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
still plenty of time to redo. i disagree with darron on the cultipacker but to each their own. I just know the huge difference we see cultipacking versus any other method. cultipackers ensure uniform seed depth and superior soil to seed contact. both are necessary for proper germination. I would try some lime next time and see if that improves growth.

Cultipackers are nice, but they can be $ to buy, hard to find and a pain to transport from plot to plot. I planted my brassicas this year without a cultipacker, simply allowed the rear tine tiller to run free over the plot and my brassicas turned out great. Nice thick and lush with hardly any bare spots.

I have even tilled a month before planting let the plot sit idle for a month and then go in and broadcast the brassicas with great success. Over a period of several weeks the plot firms up some and as long as you spray before planting you are good to go. One of my best plots I did this way.

Cultipackers are nice, but not absolute necessary. I have personally never used one and my plots look good.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
most we have paid is 75..they are difficult to find though. we have 3

While visiting the wife's family over the weekend, I talked a bit with one of her uncles. Her uncles own a family farm and have a bunch of implements. I got on the subject of cultipackers and he mentioned they were actually looking to get a newer one. He told me I could rob parts and pieces from the old one... So I think next year I'll be all set!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Another update....

Checked on the plots again today. The big one looks MUCH better than it did just over a week ago. Although it's still not what I had hoped for, it has really filled in and made a vast improvement. The small plot behind the bard still looked terrible, but I threw down about 20# of canadian oats and rye so hopefully I can salvage something out of it before it's all said and done. Time will tell...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Glad to hear things are looking better. With all the scattered rain we are supposed to get this week your new seed should do just fine.