Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bresler Reservoir for a variety

During the last month or so, I've started fishing Bresler Reservoir and it's been over 15 years or more since I fished it last. My kayak has added an element of fishing to a reservoir that has given it an appeal that I've never had with fishing from the bank.

I'm no longer losing lures in the rocks and I'm catching fish on a regular basis. Not only am I catching fish, but a variety of fish. The first time, I caught a 9" crappie, an 8" bluegill and a 12" smallmouth. The second time, I caught a 24" channel cat and 2 sheepheads that were approx. 4 lbs. The third time, I caught 2 walleyes 14" and 16" and another stupid sheephead , in the 4 lb. range. This last time I was there, I caught a 13" smallmouth and 2 channel cats, a 21" and 23".

Everything has been caught by paralleling the bank in about 12' to 14' of water, trolling with a Rebel crawldad crankbait (floating) and a Rebel shad crankbait (floating). There seems to be plenty of variety out there!

Here's the Thursday evening's catch.

Bowhunter57

I caught this 22" channelcat at Bresler, Sunday morning, on a Rebel shad crankbait (black & chrome).

I caught another channelcat, at Ferguson, Sunday evening and it was 19".
Here's the latest pic of my kayak fishing machine. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I caught another 22" channelcat, yesterday and fillet it out. Now, I'm looking for a good recipe to cook this critter.
Any suggestions?

Bowhunter57

Marinade in Franks redhot sauce for a couple hours. Bread and fry normally.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looks like the yak was a good investment for ya. Glad to see your getting out there and enjoying the time on the water. Some nice looking fish buddy. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Man how did I miss out on this thread! Looks like a great setup you have going on the yak 57. Those look like some great eats you have been catching TOO.

dreamstalker

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorguy57

For those whom might have missed it before he tucked tail and ran.

^ This guy Has copy pasted to as many forums as birds in the sky. If you notice he talks about keeping undersized saugeye just to see how much meat he can get off of it in his poaching post on another forum. He was quick to delete the actual pictures off his photo bucket account and get forum admins to hurry and delete his post because several turned him in to TIP with ODNR. We are watching for this character on our waters......

Last edited by a moderator:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Quote:

Outdoorguy57
Member Join Date: Aug 2011

Metzger Reservoir...nice variety!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been fishing one of our local reservoirs, Metzger Reservoir and lately I've been catching some decent predator fish. A small muskie, that I couldn't get in the boat befor he launched himself back into the water, was early last week. I've been catching smallmouths and walleyes on a regular basis, but nothing big enough to bring home...just good fighting fish.

Today, I was out there trolling the north and east shores, with my Rebel crawdad crankbaits and caught several smallies, but nothing over 13". A few walleyes and a 13" saugeye that I decided to keep fillet and see how much meat I'd get off of him. And...ofcourse, another channelcat that was 19" long. Both the saugeye and the channelcat went into a glass baking dish...with a little BBQ sauce and a few dabs of butter for moisture/flavor, covered them with foil and baked them for an hour at 350.

^ This guy Has copy pasted to as many forums as birds in the sky. If you notice he talks about keeping undersized saugeye just to see how much meat he can get off of it in his poaching post on another forum. He was quick to delete the actual pictures off his photo bucket account and get forum admins to hurry and delete his post because several turned him in to TIP with ODNR. We are watching for this character on our waters......

You sure seem to have a hard on for the guy...what gives? Nothing else better to do? One time I shot a bluegill while trying to shoot a carp....dang, take me in. I could see if this is something habitual. If it is please bring forth your evidence, if not please contribute something other than daytime theatrics for yourself.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quote:

Outdoorguy57
Member Join Date: Aug 2011

Metzger Reservoir...nice variety!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been fishing one of our local reservoirs, Metzger Reservoir and lately I've been catching some decent predator fish. A small muskie, that I couldn't get in the boat befor he launched himself back into the water, was early last week. I've been catching smallmouths and walleyes on a regular basis, but nothing big enough to bring home...just good fighting fish.

Today, I was out there trolling the north and east shores, with my Rebel crawdad crankbaits and caught several smallies, but nothing over 13". A few walleyes and a 13" saugeye that I decided to keep fillet and see how much meat I'd get off of him. And...ofcourse, another channelcat that was 19" long. Both the saugeye and the channelcat went into a glass baking dish...with a little BBQ sauce and a few dabs of butter for moisture/flavor, covered them with foil and baked them for an hour at 350.

Wow! Stalker is a very appropriate name you have chosen for yourself. Have you ever been using your phone and punch an 8 instead of a 5? I mean the 8/5 are directly above/below each other on the keypad.

Glad I walk around well armed on a daily basis. Freaking nutjob stalkers like yourself are the reason why. Get a life bud. So what if he did screw up and miss the rules on that one. Knowing 57, I can tell you he is very much a "by the book" kind of guy. If he screwed up, I guarantee you he isn't going to do it repeatedly now that he is aware of it. How about these jokers that go out and catch entire boats of fish under the size and are over their limit? Why don't you chase them down?

Here is how I look at it: Either he had a typo and put the wrong number on the keyboard, or he screwed up and missed the rules on ONE fish. People like you scare me.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Quit being a fuggin douchebag dreamstalker. Play that shit somewhere else buddy because on this forum it doesn't fly..

Shit happens, everyone isn't perfect and we all make mistakes.. Case in point, you mother when she decided to keep it...

Now back to from where you came troll..