Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big duck dates released by ODNR

Derek j

Knox Co.
2011-2012 waterfowl dates have been released. Will be interesting to see how this changes our hunting strategies. My main hunting area was previously in south zone, now that we are in the north, we start earlier, but lose all of January for ducks, and goose ends the 22nd. Not sure hoe I need to plan now! What does everyone else think?

Derek j

Knox Co.
We mostly hunted the kokosing because all the lakes were froze by the time our season started. Now we at least can hunt the lakes like dillon and buckeye. Usually could only hunt it 2 or 3 days before it was completely froze. I feel like its my first year out and have no idea where to get ducks!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
It'll be interesting. My initial thoughts:

• I wish the duck dates went further into January.
  • I wish the goose dates went through the end of January, and even into February.
  • I'd like season to go out during deer gun season, so for that matter, I wish the second split didn't come in until early December.
  • Why move the N / S border to I-70? What was the decision based on? I'm just wanting to understand why this was done.

Regardless of what they do, I'm gonna hunt hard & try to make stuff dead, so there's no sense cryin' about anything. Just time to get thinking about new strategies and hopefully make the best of the new season dates & border we've been handed.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I believe the north south zone split was changed due to the confusion that was caused with the old one. In fredericktown it was a clusterfugg. There are a couple fields that you could literally stand in both zones at the same time.....which could cause you a lot of problems if you didn't know where the split was. I agree with the ducks going later in January, and definitely geese going into February. We need a larger limit in the regular season. They are literally taking over our football fields, and everything else in central Ohio. I'm with you though.....I'm still gonna kill ducks!

I am not a fan of the new marsh zone that they stuck us with

Totaly mess's up my late hunts that normaly produce great results

I would have liked to see our goose season end in Jan sometime

John