Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

tv hunting shows

swamp_donkey819

ok i had to write this cause it irks me for some unknown reason, why is on tv they whisper constantly when there is no need to, for instance after they shoot a buck and watch it drop they whisper, or if there in a concealed blind with closed windows they whisper, or the deer are 4 or 500 yards out they whisper. tonight these guys were hunting elk and they said the elk were close to a mile away and yet they were whispering. ive seen some whisper soon as they get out of the truck and get stuff ready to head in the woods. just boggles my mind, i make plenty of noise with sticks and stuff gettin settled in and still get plenty of deer close by, they all hunt on ranches where the deer are used to having people around all day everyday, i think we need some shows that are fair chase and put the real huntng experience out there. whats your guys opinions?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Agreed on all points.
And something different - they all seem the same.
And something instructional - where you could actually learn something new, some trick, some practical tips.

I do like Deer and Deer Hunting though, I think best of all of them.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Deer hunting shows are just that...shows. They are not reality. However, I totaly disagree with your cavalier thoughts on making noise. Just beacause you see a deer 400 yards away doesn't mean one isn't standing 10 yards behind you. From the time I pull into my hunting spot, until I'm back in the truck, I make as little noise as possible. I have walked up on many deer heading to my stand as well as coming out. You need to be ready at all times. Sure you may be seeing deer, but I would bet you are missing more than a few.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I get a kick out of how every other show is pitching a "must have" product. This show says mathews, that one says pse. this one says primos that one saysflextone... realtree vs. mossy oak.... the list goes on and on.I understand that these shows need sposers money to be on the air but whats getting lost in all of it is that some of us would like to see some sort of helpful information and not so mugh infomercial

the magazines are the same way. Anybody get the latest issue of ohio game and fish? There is an artticle about this guy from nebraska that came to ohio in november last year and killed on of ohios top 10 all time public land deer. In the article he says he used a mathews switch back. but in the picture on the same page you can clearly see the name Hoyt on the bow. wonder how much mathews paid him to say that?

The whole thing is kind of a turn off.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I only ever watch a few hunting shows anymore.

1) Drury Outdoors. Dream season or Bow Madness. Them guys know what they are doing and in almost every show you will see something and learn from it as well as get some tips and tricks.

2) Legends of the Fall. They just seem to be down to earth people on that show. I think this season is far better then last season.

3) Jimmy Big Time. Dude just cracks me up making fun of the very thing we hate about outdoor shows. I understand his show isn't for everybody but I like it lol.

I have gotten tired of the shows the last few years. Esp. the ones where they are passing on GREAT bucks that most of us would drop the hammer on instantly. The other pet-peeve is seeing guys up in treestands and they clearly are not tied in! Bad message they are sending, esp. when a harness company is their sponsor!!

The whispering thing I can kinda understand when they are watching game off in the distance. Many times have I been preoccupied with watching deer out in the distance only to have one sneak in on me.

i still say we need to do our own show , we have the best of the best here , from ducks to deer to squirrels and rabbits , we have it all coverd , and not to mention catfish and bass guys too , it would be a great all around show , and along with survivalists , we would blow the hutning show world up son...lol

swamp_donkey819

man im glad i wasnt the only one thinking that way lol and schu you do have a very good point i never looked at it that way, i should have worded it better to how the shows worry about that one deer 400 yards away and dont worry about the other ones that are nearby, and yea they do brag about the sponsors alot like " well i really dont think i would have made that shot if i wasnt using my easton excell arrows and this new peep sight by g5 really helped, what they really forgot to mention was the sponsors that paid to shoot someones deer that they raised, yea i think a few shows that covers all areas of hunting and fishing with very slight sponsor advertising and alot more helpful info would pan out to be awesome, show new hunters and stuff what its really like in the woods and not get them hooked thinkin everytime they go out there gonna get a big buck, but drury outdoors and there shows do have helpful info, and very few shows actually take does also

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you get the Pursuit Channel, start watching Major League Bowhunter, Midwest Whitetail, and Heartland Bowhunter. Easily the three best shows on TV right now. Major League Bowhunter just did an entire show on screw ups and never showed a kill. It's probably the best single episode in terms of education I've ever seen. Midwest Whitetail is also focused on educating the viewers. And if you have HD channels and a kick ass TV, Heartland Bowhunter is the most enjoyable watch on TV IMO. Some shows are have it right and these three do in my book...

I'm also a huge Drury fan, so anything they produce is alright with me!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
All the ones Jesse mentioned are set to record on my DVR. I also like Hallowed Ground on the Sportsman's Channel. Reminds me a lot of HB.

swamp_donkey819

i need to get some better channels, i only have the outdoor channel and the best shows on there are the drury outdoors, red arrow used to be my favorite kinda into buck commander cause they goof off alot, my buddy told me there is a new show out i believe is on the versus channel he said they do alot of public land hunting and state land, he said alot of there episodes are all fair chase, red arrow usually shoots does, coyotes foxes all that, used to be a dang good show. is the pursuit channel on time warner cable i looked but couldnt find it

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with Jesse on Major League Bowhunter. Great show with darn good info. I get some of the whispering after the shot. I am as quiet as I can be from the time I pull onto the property until the time I leave. The product endorsements certainly get old. I understand the need to pay the bills, but when the endorsements outweigh the entertainment, I have seen too much.

Worst "hunting" show I have seen recently is "Hollywood Hunter". The host is the biggest fruitcake I have seen in awhile. It was absolutely pathetic!

swamp_donkey819

neverheard of hollywood hunter but just the name makes me not wanna watch it, only half a hunting show i like is jimmy big time like red cloud says i aint watched an episode yet that i havent laughed at, the whispering its like they use it when its needed but also when its not needed, like when they drop a deer and watch it drop they whisper then hoot n hollar when they find it, or in like the blind turtle with all wondows closed and they whisper, theres no need for that lol thats just like a blooper it would be like deer hearin us talk when we drive by with the windows up and one is standing by the road

swamp_donkey819

i like fear no evil just cause im a fan of chris brackett and zac brown, red arrow had always been a great show, and of the drury outdoors shows and jimmy big time, thats about what im limited to on my channel i need to get the pursuit channel to start getting all the good ones, dam time warner cable and there restrictions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here are some links to watch the shows I mentioned if you don't have the Pursuit Channel...

The online shows are not the same as the TV shows for Midwest Whitetail, but I enjoy them every bit as much. The semi-live aspect is great once the season starts, so make sure to catch the Ohio show once they get rolling! http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gallery/96/media/3000/mw111-2011-preview-show.html

Heartland Bowhunter is in Season 4, but you can watch a lot of the old shows, along with other spots they film on Vimeo. http://vimeo.com/search/videos/search:heartland bowhunter/st/9923eb0c/sort:newest/format:thumbnail

Not many shows to be had on Major League Bowhunter, but you can get an idea of what they do via their website. http://majorleaguebowhunter.com/index.php?page=modules/pages/index&id=4