Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your go to knife

I was sorting out my pack I carry deer hunting

I am giving everything I carry thought

Most are no brain er's

But when it comes to a knife
I am still debating

As I have used a number of different knives over the years

For the last few years I have used a pair of knives
One is a utility knife that is easy open to change blades if needed
And the other is a Victorinox , Hunter with a gutting blade , saw and lock blade
But as I do the cut around and pull through , I do not split the pelvis

I only realy have only used the gutting blade the last few years
Expect for the saw blade to cut the chest , if I shoot a large deer

Just wondering what others use ?
And why ?

Sort of seeing if there is a better knife

John

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
In my hunting pack I have a winchester fixed blade with a guthook. It was inexpensive and as long as i keep it sharp it does the job. In my pocket at work I have a really cheap appalaitian trail folder that came free with a "leatherman" type multi tool. I dont spend much on knives I use for work because I tend to be VERY hard on them, and have found that, when you are using it to dig slugs out of hole saws, as a wedge to get a gap for a weld, a screwdriver when you are 30 feet up in a piping rack... an expensive knife breaks just as easy as a cheap one, again the key is to keep it sharp. But my favorite knife that is in my pocket when I'm afield is the classic buck folder. been around forever, my grandad had one, still just as relieble as it ever was.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I use the Gerber Ultimate Big Game Cleaning set. I don't carry it with me though. It stays with my stuff at the house or vehicle. I carry either a Kershaw Leek, Benchmade Emmisary, or SOG Flash II. I have gotten so used to an assisted opener that I couldn't go back. Half a second one hand opening.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In the field I carry the large folding buck knife.

My daily knife is a Old Timer 3 blade.

My bar knife is a Blawkhawk GaraII Hawkbill that is razor blade sharp and never used for anything.

blackhawkhawk20101.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I gut my deer with a Schrade Uncle Henry my old man gave me for Christmas a decade ago. I've cleaned 20+ in that time with that knife; its a treasured keepsake as much as it is a hunting knife. I carry a Gerber Paraframe, but asked the wife for a SOG like Beeners for my birthday/anniversary. Time for an upgrade...

Diablo54

Outside
The pocket knife i carry is a greatland haha i think its a walmart special haha

Junky plastic clip on the side is broken and its dull haha. But it comes in hanfy every day

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314321601.740148.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314321601.740148.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 122

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Hunting Knife is a good ol buck 110. That is what I bought when I started hunting 15 years ago and has gutted all my deer.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I use a Bushmaster with a gut hook for field dressing and then switch to the Gerber Gator Fillet knife for skinning and cutting out the B-hole. Then I switch to my butcher knives for cutting up the meat and deboning.

pic of the Gerber

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This Gerber is working really well for me, skins deer, carries easy, lightweight, tight, one handed opening, not bad at holding an edge

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have many, but have been carrying a Kershaw Speedsafe recently. Come winter, I will swap it out for one of the cheap utility blade knives for opening salt bags. This one is always in the left pocket with a clip for easy deployment. Try to stay with one handed openers for all my knives. Always have my old ivory handled Bear Hunter in my right pocket. Been carrying it for 18yrs. Nothing fancy. Not expensive. Has served me well though. Hate to see the day I lose it or break it. Been with me a long time.

For hunting i used to carry my grandpa's buck 110 but the carry weight at 9 oz is pretty silly. My buck 119 which is a med sized sheath knife wieghts 9oz with the sheath. My new hunting knife is a crkt 3 inch sheath knife. I veiw my everyday carry knife as a funtional acessory i have a lot to choose from. So naturaly my edc blade changes with the day of the week and what im wearing. My bar/self defence knife is a benchmade osborn model 940. My multi tool of choice is a leatherman wave or a charge tti. my backpacking and brushcrafting blade is either the 119 or a onterio rat 7. If i had to choose one blade to take with me it would be the buck 119. The 119 is super light weight for its size. I can cut down small trees to make shooting lanes with one or two hacks and its still small enough to dress game.

Last edited: