Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bit the bullet...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And placed an order with Smokey's Deer Lure in New Cumberland, WV this afternoon. Smokey McNicholas is a dude I met years ago at a sportsmen show here in town. It took a few years for me to hear about the preorbital gland lure he makes, but I do vaugely remember him having some of it at this show. After reading the article about preorbital gland lure in Deer and Deer Hunting this week and hearing about Barry and Gene Wensels success with it, I felt it was worth the $30 to give it a try. I like to think outside the box and this stuff definitely falls in that area of thinking.

Anyone around here ever fool with this stuff?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The preorbital gland is located near what would be our tear ducts. It secrets a waxy substance that is used in the whitetails complicated scent communication network. Because the lure itself is an oil based product, it lasts way longer than a urine/water based lure. They say to find a scrape you know is active on an annual basis and add this to the licking branch every 10-14 days. From what I have read, it brings bucks in by the truck load. It's supposed to be an effective killing tool, but the main benefit is inventory on the trail cams. I'm all for seeing more of what's out there and with the rumors of a 180 floating around the neighborhood, I'm willing to doctor up a scrape 500 yards upwind of where he was last seen! I don't expect this to help me kill deer, but if it puts deer in front of the camera as well as advertised, I'll call it $30 well spent...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been looking for that stuff ever since reading the article about it in D&DH a couple months ago. They never mentioned in the article where to get the preorbital gland scent, but I may have to look that guy up now. According to the article I read, that stuff is the cat's pajamas for luring bucks into mock scrapes!