Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transducer mount using duct seal?

This video looks easy enough and the electrical duct seal putty is affordable at approximately $5. All you have to do is make a small moat/dam for the transducer to set inside of while the 1/8" of water disperses any interfering air bubbles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_...eature=related

I have also heard of a simular mount using silicone adhesive. Using a tube of silicone, squeeze a pile/lump of silicone on the floor of the kayak where you intend to mount the transducer and press the transducer into it and allow it to set up. Supposedly, since there are no air bubbles trapped between the transducer and the silicone, the transducer will read straight through the floor/hull of the kayak.

I know a guy that uses a simular method of this for ice fishing. As long as there's clear ice, all he does is squirt some water on top of the ice, set the transducer in the water that's on top of the ice and it will read straight through the ice. He says this keeps him from drilling a lot of holes, until he can find a spot that has fish.

Has anyone heard of or used this method for mounting a transducer?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have mounted mine to the bottom of the canoe with no issues. The old transducer for my big boat is thru hull.

Beentown

Well, I mounted my transducer inside on the floor of my kayak, just behind the floatation block that's in the nose. I used a 2" chunk of the Duct Seal, pressed it down on the floor/keel and then pressed the transducer into it. I pressed the edges of the Duct Seal up to and around the sides of the transducer, to that it's contained by the Duct Seal.

After installing it, I took the kayak, went fishing at Bresler Reservoir and it works great. :) The water temperature is off, but after I was on the water for a 1/2 hour or so it was accurate. I transport my kayak upside down and on top of my CR-V and so far, it has remained in place.

Here's the catch for this evening. A 13" smallmouth, 21" & 23" channel cats.

Bowhunter57

AlexisH3

Banned
CA
Hey people! does anyone know where to find some free outback steakhouse coupons because I'm really craving some outback steakhouse coupons right now haha!

Last edited by a moderator: