Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Now that's a stand!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I first started hunting our farm back in 2005, I was told by a knowledge hunter “that is takes five years to learn how to hunt a new piece of ground.” That was the first time I had heard that tidbit, but I’ve heard it several times since. Heading in to my sixth season on this farm, I feel like this statement is so very true! During the first few seasons, I hunted the perimeter of the farm under the naïve assumption that the core of our farm was a “wasteland”. After a few seasons of unsuccessful hunting, I shifted my focus to other properties I had to hunt around the country, spending very little time on our farm. While I was off chasing bucks on other farms, I was placing friends and family in stands I was dubbing “trail and error” stands near the core of the property. It didn’t take long before I started to develop a “feel” for the middle of the farm. After running cams near a few subtle funnels in the heart of our 76 acres, I began to see I wasted four seasons worth of opportunities by avoiding these portions of the farm. Last season, I dedicated myself to hunting the core of the farm in an attempt to develop a deeper understanding of how the deer were using this area. After several encounters with good bucks, including one that nearly ended the saga of Moe before it ever really began, I was left with what I felt was a solid grasp on the movement in and around the center of the farm. I knew heading in to this year that I had to develop this area in order to take full advantage of the movement I witnessed last year. Most of this plan was implemented this weekend with the completion of a “test plot” and the hanging of a stand I expect to be a producer on an annual basis. Had I been one step ahead of the curve, this stand would have afforded me multiple sub 40 yard shots at 3 shooters last fall!

If you are a fan of the Drury brothers, then you have heard them discuss “planting to a tree”. Before I laid out my test plot this spring, I picked what I felt was the perfect tree for this location. I knew I wanted to hang a buddy stand in this area so I had a place to hunt with Tracie, kids, and to have a stand for all day solo sits. The wind in this part of the bottom almost always filters from W to E down the bottom regardless of actual wind direction. Since I rarely hunt the eastern part of the farm, I designated this as the “dead area” for the stand and hung on the eastern edge of what I consider the “huntable” portion of the farm. Once I had pinpointed the general area, the perfect tree ended up being a no-brainer. A double-butted white oak on the edge of the tree line 30 yards from the main creek crossing and 35 yards from one of the best funnels on the farm, made a great location to hide the Big Dog Red Tick II. All that was left was the planting of the test plot…

I had planned on planting nearly ¼ acre in this location, but the cards were stacked against me this year. Despite my disappointment in the actual size of the plot, I have high hopes it will produce. At just over 1,000 square feet, it is no monster, but the plot of Green Patch Plus should make for a fine hunting plot. The good news for this location lays in the purchase of a 70hp 4x4 tractor with 4’ tiller that will be making its appearance on our farm in the next few weeks. Thanks Dad! ;) That same tractor will sport a 5’ brush hog that will be mowing this bottom before the season comes in the 24th. Dad mowed this field around the same time last fall and it really had me concerned about the effect on the deer herd. Much to my shock and awe, it made a world of difference in the hunting and its something I can’t wait to see happen again. All in all, the addition of the new tractor will mean I can make this plot more than 150% bigger next year, making it a true attraction to the deer smack dab in the middle of the farm!!!

I’m still searching for a name for this spot because I have faith its worthy of one. I honestly believe this is a stand I can leave in this tree season after season. After getting it hung and seeing how well it was hidden when completed, it gave me even more confidence in the spot. This stand provides an great bird’s eye view of our creek bottom, while being positioned in an area that constricts deer movement. I think the pictures say a lot in this case, so here goes…

The stand is in the upper right hand corner of this picture. The creek turns N just off the left side of this plot and there is a great watering hole right near the edge of the plot. This is the same spot where Moe came to drink last fall, offering me a 40 yard shot from another stand down the edge from here. He would have been 28 yards broadside to this stand had it been here last year. If you walk through the plot, you’ll hit an old four-wheeler road that connects the bottom with the bean field on the ridge. This is the same road my turkey started down this spring and it’s always littered with good rubs in the fall. It’s the perfect funnel for deer looking to drop off the ridge to the creek and visa versa. The plot will be widened 10’ to the edge of the creek next year and lengthened by 15 yards to the N and 30 yards to the S and E. The picture is taken facing due N…

This is a view of the main creek crossing looking dead at the stand. (Trust me, there is a 17.5' buddy stand hung in the double oak just right of center in this picture!) This is the shot I would have had on Moe from this stand last year. The main portion of our creek bottom is 300 yards long and roughly 80-90 yards wide. At this point, it pinches down to 40 yards thanks to the bend in the creek and the hillsides running towards one another as they run to the E. Any deer traveling E/W down the bottom is forced through this spot, offering a 28 yard chip shot…

The “weak” spot to this stand, is the rise in elevation that occurs on the back side of the set. In this picture, Remi is walking up the main trail that is part of the main funnel connecting the N part of the farm, to the S portion. Despite being so close, you can see how well the stand is hidden. I have confidence that the back cover afforded by the double-butted oak will aid in staying undetected by deer using this trail to gain access to the ridge N of the stand…

As deer continue to walk in the direction Remi is headed, they will eventually hit the shelf that is eye-level with the stand, offering a 30 yard broadside/quartering shot. This trail connects with a hidden access road that connects the shelf with the oak flat on the ridge above. In addition to offering the promise of acorns, this ridge provides access to acres upon acres of beans and a small food plot of brassicas, oats, and clover. Year after year, this flat and the road are torn up with sign. This is the view of the flat from the stand. The second picture is what a deer would see if they were to look directly at the stand…

Here is the view behind the stand looking to the right of the stand…

And this is the view to the left…

The four-wheeler trail I mentioned earlier dumps in to the plot on the right edge of the picture I took looking to the right side of the tree. As deer filter through the plot, they offer you all kinds of shot opportunities at 20 yards and under. You have a great shot to the main creek crossing on either side of the tree, and there is a shot opportunity to the hidden funnel I mentioned earlier that runs right where my buddy is sitting on the quad. It’s a poke at 40 yards, but it’s one I feel I can make if I absolutely had to. The nice thing about that funnel, is if I miss the shot opportunity, chances are good that deer is going to walk right up the trail that Remi was on earlier. The food plot will extend to the big sycamore next year, making it a legitimate plot when it’s all said and done.

I also plan on doing some chain saw work this fall to open up the view to the W of the stand. You can see the sycamores lining the creek as you look to the right of the tree. I plan on doing a good bit of work in that location in order to provide a full visual of the entire field once the leaves are down. As it is, you’ll still be able to cover a good bit of ground with the aid of the binocs, not to mention a set of rattling antlers and a good grunt call! It took several hours to put this all together, but I feel that will be a minimal sacrifice once the results begin to reveal themselves!!!

And for all you SR Outfitters clients, I know you guys will love this spot! Mr. Nayden will be the first one to try it out this fall!!!

Buckmaster

Portage
Don't get too aggressive with your new found brush hog. I like to keep the trails mowed to 5 feet and let everything else grow up. Deer like cover especially around open plots.

Huckleberry Finn

This is a great spot and I love what you've done putting in the plot and putting the stand up there. I think your concerns of the height behind you are well founded, having learned that lesson hunting that terrain. Looks like a hell of a spot and I'm fuggin jealous of Ryan!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is looking great Jesse. I like what you have done with the area. Is the blind still setup across the creek from there?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks great Jesse! I hope the "Hank Tucker stand" (wink wink hint hint on the name lol) produces big time for you! Sure seems like it has all the makings of a great stand location!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very nice set up. Given the terrain here along the river, it's damn tough to find a stand where the ground isn't going up on one side or the other of the stand. I've had stands similar to this and deer have gone to the high side and never picked me out. They still tend to look downward or level to the ground. I think you're set.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
THAT is good stuff - if a man pays attention he can learn somethin here.

Well done Jesse.

No kidding!

Thanks for putting that explanation together along with the pictures. It really helps to understand the thought process behind everything you've done there Jesse. Can't wait to read the later threads about all the deer taken from this location. It looks like it's gonna be a great set up.