Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckslayers Food Plot Thread

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I finally attained membership to the lease surrounding my small farm this year and put in three food plots. These are the first plots I have personally put in so I have high hopes they will grow well and bring in some nice ones this year. I will be putting up trail cams and a time lapse cam so hopefully I will be able to post some nice pics over the next couple months. The other members of the lease planted the same area as plots last year but they had grown up quite a bit.

I wanted to wait until the intense heat and bone dry conditions began to wear off so I planned on planting in mid august. Once the cool spell set in last week I decided to get it done. My dad and I bushhogged and baled the plots.

Plowed

On wed morning I put down 1000 pounds of lime on about two acres of plot by hand....bad idea. It was disced on tues evening and wed evening and on thursday I planted it. I used a bag of 12-12-12 fertilizer on each plot. My seed was Frigid Forage Big n Beasty Brassicas which includes Sugar Beets, Purple Top Forage Turnip, Carrots, Winfred Forage Rape, Dwarf Essex Rape, and Hunter Forage Rape/Turnip Hybrid. I also put down Frigid Forage Autumn Quick Plot which includes Winter Rye, Hairy Vetch, Winter Peas and Dwarf Rapeseed. To top it off I used two bags of Evolved Harvest Megaplot which has turnips, triticale, forage oats and clover. I may have overdone the seed but I really am hoping for some lush plots. I will post pics of the progess.
Here is a pic from the top plot looking down towards my place.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Buckslayer! Do you have any pics of the finished plot.... after it was disked and seeded? I think you'll be happy with the results. Keep in mind, though, that when you plant the brassica mixes, more seed is not always better. If you overseed, you may not see yields that are as high as they could be. More plants means less moisture and nutrients to go around. Keep us updated on the progress!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Good stuff Buckslayer! Do you have any pics of the finished plot.... after it was disked and seeded? I think you'll be happy with the results. Keep in mind, though, that when you plant the brassica mixes, more seed is not always better. If you overseed, you may not see yields that are as high as they could be. More plants means less moisture and nutrients to go around. Keep us updated on the progress!

Yeah I do actually have some finished pics Ill post here soon...they happen to be on the card that is in my trail cam. Yeah I believe that I may have overseeded :smiley_depressive:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah I do actually have some finished pics Ill post here soon...they happen to be on the card that is in my trail cam. Yeah I believe that I may have overseeded :smiley_depressive:

Lol... It's all good man. Just putting something down is certainly better than doing nothing at all!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice work man! I'll be interested to see how the Frigid Forage does for you. I almost planted it this year, but decided to wait until next year when I can up my plot sizes for tiny, to over 1/2 in size. Definitely looks like you are on the right track!!!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I hope your hard work pays off. Can you get in a tree around the plot or do you plan to try to catch them coming to the plot? Great surrounding scenery!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I hope your hard work pays off. Can you get in a tree around the plot or do you plan to try to catch them coming to the plot? Great surrounding scenery!

Boone, In the last pic you can see those larger trees, There is a group of three white oaks about 30 yards off the plot. There is a stand there and on the top plot there is a stand that is twenty yards from the middle of the plot in the pines. This buck was shot and killed in the white oak stand during gun season not by me. I recovered the deer in a torrential downpour with no blood trail for the guy. He was elated with his largest buck!

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
They are patchy, I have high hopes they will fill in soon....Looking better everyday though...WAY better than last week.

Top plot is doing pretty good at least