Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doubled with my Dad for my first deer.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Hey guys, love all the stories so I thought I would share mine. I was 13 years old when I shot my first deer. It was opening day of Pennsylvania and I was pumped just to get into the woods with my father. Some of my best childhood memories were waiting up to hear my dad's stories when he would be getting back from the woods. My dad had just put built and put up a new ground blind on his friends property. As we were walking into the woods he looked at me and said, "Nick, you better remember how to get to this stand beacuse this is YOUR new stand!" At 13, I believe that was the best moment of my life (until the end of that day). We got into the stand about 30 minutes before sunrise and we were both going nuts waiting for the sun to come up. I swear I must of heard 50 deer in the darkness before it started breaking light.

After about a hour and a half of sitting there daydreaming of a deer coming in is when I saw my first movement. It turned out to be a red fox that came about twenty yards from our blind. I swear it was a good luck charm beacuse to this day if I see a fox in the woods I know its going to be a hunt. A hour past when the fox ran off and still nothing. I remembered feeling a little bummed hearing shooting all around us in the distance and my dad just looking at me and saying, "We have to pay our dues." Next thing I know here came five deer walking down the into the gully where our stand was located. Still to this day I can't remember being more nervous when my dad told me to get my gun up and when I was on them turn the safety off. The first four doe pasted through my opeing (which was huge) and we were waiting to see what the last deer was. Sure enough it was a buck! Now mind you it is the smallest buck I have ever shot. It was a spike with about 3 inch antlers. Please, remember I was 13 and this was my first deer any other day I would pass but not this day. As I pulled up I couldn't find him in my scope because I was shaking to much. My dad was whispering in my ear to calm down and relax. I finally found this buck in my scope. The last thing I heard was my dad telling me was to squeeze the trigger and allow the gun to surprise me when it went off. I squeezed the trigger and BAM! I had no idea where I hit him. I saw him take off and out of the blind we went. We walked up and saw blood, it was a light red and my father informed me that this could be a good sign. A few steps later my dad turned around and told me to lead the way (he saw the deer up ahead laying dead and wanted me to find it). So, with my head down I followed the blood trail about 50 yards and almost had to step on the deer to find him. I jumped up in joy hugging my dad.

After we got the deer field dressed we dragged it back to the stand. Dad looked at me and asked if we could sit for another hour or two until my mother got out of work and we could go show her. I was on such a high I could have sat in that blind for a week thinking about what had just happened. It wasn't more than a hour later and these deer got pushed up the gully right to us. My dad whipped his gun up and Bam! He shot a little spike too. He actually thought it was a doe running through or thats what he says. To see the look on his face in the pictures my mother took when we got back home that day are priceless.

Just yesterday he came out to Ohio to help my brother in law (huntn2) and I hang some stands. We were taking a water break and telling hunting stories and he looked at me and told me that day was one of the best days of his life. I have been hunting for years now and I can't think of a moment I would rather relive when it comes to hunting. Needless to say that my first hunt will always be my favorite.

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Just read this Nick...... This is exactly what hunting and fishing trips with family, friends or by yourself are supposed to do! Making memories and starting heritages for our children and our children's children. Thanks for sharing this story Nick. I really enjoyed it!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just read this Nick...... This is exactly what hunting and fishing trips with family, friends or by yourself are supposed to do! Making memories and starting heritages for our children and our children's children. Thanks for sharing this story Nick. I really enjoyed it!

Ditto!!!

Like Dick said, I can't believe I missed this story! Wonder how much more good reading I missed here here on TOO over the years! Glad that Freeboro uncovered it to help others find it!

This was a great father and son hunting moment for sure! Thanks for sharing it Nick!