Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio2010 Publicland Bigwoods buck is Home

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
One of my most enjoyable hunts..Dec 18th was a time for a whitetail hunter to be in the woods...Extreme cold temps..combined with 4 inchs of powder snow and to top things off..a bumper crop of acorns. Those combinations allowed me to track this old boy down.

Man..I love deer huntin.:smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks great Mountaineer! Which high fence you poach that one at again? rotflmao

Sorry bud, couldn't resist!

That was a great story and a hard earned buck. I remember reading it. Glad to hear you got him back!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Thanks fellows....Ive been sittin here stareing at this thing for the past 2 hours...Man..I worship these "big" bucks...

I know you fellows appreciate these old bucks and im glad i get to share it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Heck of a deer and a great mount.. Now did the check station put that tag between his G2 and G3 because you were from WV? lol.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice buck M. I applaud the way you tracked him down and then harvested him. I wish I had the time and knowledge to try it. Maybe one day.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Mike,

I had no idea the 2 sets of tracks I was following were bucks with racks. The only thing I noticed that led me to believe they could possibly be bucks was the staggering of their tracks. Which simply means the Deers hips are wide. In Maine, we look for Hugh tracks and staggering tracks. I took a chance and got lucky.

One second your deerless and the next you have a buck on the ground.. It happens that quick.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Both mature bucks and mature does have staggared tracks. A bucks shoulders are wider than his hips. Where as a does hips are wider than her shoulders. So it depends on which tracks are wider, fronts or backs.

Also. In snow pay atention to how they pee. A doe will squat and pee a stream. A buck largely stands, and since they don't habe thumbs it wiggles when they pee so it will be a hole with squiggle piss lines.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
both mature bucks and mature does have staggared tracks. A bucks shoulders are wider than his hips. Where as a does hips are wider than her shoulders. So it depends on which tracks are wider, fronts or backs.

Also. In snow pay atention to how they pee. A doe will squat and pee a stream. A buck largely stands, and since they don't habe thumbs it wiggles when they pee so it will be a hole with squiggle piss lines.

lmao!!!