Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinkin' about some SlickTricks

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've been shooting a very popular mechanical blade for the past few seasons, I haven't had any issues with them, but just been feeling like it's time for a change. In the back of my mind a mechanical can always have the possibility of failing, and if I can eliminate a variable like that from my set up, it's worth some consideration. A mechanical takes away some of the arrow's kenetic energy to deploy the blades, which can also reduce your penetration. So, I've been looking at moving to a fixed blade for the up coming season.

At the top of the list have been Slick Tricks, and today I had the opportunity to shoot a couple Razor Tricks to see how they flew next to my field points.

First shot I took was with the Razor Trick at 20 yards, and the arrow ended up right where it was supposed to. Second shot was with a field point, and I hit about 2" high, but felt like it was more form when I hit the release, so I nocked another arrow. I squeezed the release and the arrow went where it was supposed to, buried into the target in damn near the same hole as the Razor Trick.

Conclusion.... I'll be making the change with confidence. Here's some pictures I snapped...

The field point actually hit the larger 1 1/8" blade on the Razor Trick, peeling back the filed point, and breaking the blade...

Another close up of the field point...

The Razor Trick on the arrow, and an undamaged Razor Trick next to it for reference.

Since I know some of the guys here have been shooting Slick Tricks with really good results, and having seen it with my own eyes today, I'm looking forward to sending one of these bad boys through some lungs this fall!!!

Edit: Forgot to add that I owe Longdraw a new practice head!!! :smiley_coolpeace: Thanks again buddy. It was good hangin' out yesterday!!!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's great to see Curran. At least you know those ST will fly great and hit the same.

I too changed to ST for the first time this year. I can't wait to see the aftermath of sending one into a good deer this fall.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You'll not regret it. They fly awesome and slam home through some tough bone. I like the regular ST for the chisel point, but i've been told the cut on contact is a tough mofo also.

Diablo54

Outside
Did you google the holes? I doubt that's too small for any animal. Including the African game they've killed. lol

I wasn't saying they were to small in size they will do the job no doubt. I meant too small in grain weight. Ill stick to my simmons treesharks and 160 grain snuffers. U wanna see holes google those heads haha.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wasn't saying they were to small in size they will do the job no doubt. I meant too small in grain weight. Ill stick to my simmons treesharks and 160 grain snuffers. U wanna see holes google those heads haha.

Ahh. Got ya.. You threw a curve ball asking about diameter, then going to grain weight. But they do make a 175 grain 1 1/8 head too. ;)