Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brassicas are in the ground!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, I finally made it down to the farm yesterday to put in some food plots. I only had time to do two of them instead of 3 like I had planned, but all in all I think they turned out really well.

Both plots were slightly over 1/4 acre each. Before disking the ground, I layed down 40# of 46-0-0 urea in each plot, since brassicas like a lot of nitrogen in the soil. I then ran the disk over the soil to break up the sod, then pulled my spike harrow over top to break up the clods. Finally, broadcasted the seed and packed it in by running the quad back and forth (cultipacker is on the to-do list for next year).

This first one was put in the area of an existing plot. The existing plot was about 1/2 acre, planted to oats/rye/clover last fall... now just clover coming in. I basically cut this plot in half, hoping that I can get in there and throw some more oats and rye down in september. The seed I planted was a mixture of 1.5# PTTs, and 2# of the Evolved Harvest Rack Radish Crush... which consists of T-Raptor rape and Daikon radishes.

DSCF1195.jpg[

This second plot is in a new location, but only about 200 yds from the first plot. There is an old barn right in front of it so this is sort of an experimental situation. I know there is usually a lot of deer traffic through here, though, so I have faith in it. The south end is somewhat out in the open, but the north end extends back into the trees and becomes more secluded. The nice thing is that there are several trees on the north end that would out really well for a treestand. The seed I planted in this plot consisted of 1.5# PTTs, and 4# of Evolved Harvest Pro Graze. The Pro Graze is a rape and turnip blend, but also contains some perennial clover and chickory. Since this is a new plot, the sod didn't want to break up as easily and there were more clods, so I planted on the heavy side thinking my germination rate might be lower. We'll see what happens.

DSCF1196.jpgDSCF1197.jpgDSCF1198.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope your hard work pays off Jim. Always nice to know you are done and the seed is in the ground. As much work as we put in yesterday, sadly we didn't get any seed put down. Still made a lot of progress though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looks good dude. I got two of my plots in this weekend. Turned out to be a good weekend for it!!! Hopeyou kill something off that plot this year!!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Look great! I just went the lazy route today and put a bag of no-till stuff down in all of the bare spots and trails.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hope your hard work pays off Jim. Always nice to know you are done and the seed is in the ground. As much work as we put in yesterday, sadly we didn't get any seed put down. Still made a lot of progress though.

Done with these, yes... done with all the plots, I hope not. I'd like to plant some more oats, rye, and clover again in September. It IS a lot of work, though, like you said. Just finding the time to go down and do it is hard enough.

Looks good dude. I got two of my plots in this weekend. Turned out to be a good weekend for it!!! Hopeyou kill something off that plot this year!!!

This weekend was PERFECT for planting food plots. The rain last night was about as timely as it gets! I was sitting under a camper awning down at Deerassic last night... and while everyone else was bitching about the rain, I had a big ass smile on my face! :)

Look great! I just went the lazy route today and put a bag of no-till stuff down in all of the bare spots and trails.

Hey man, every little bit helps. The deer will definitely benefit from those plants that sprout up... And who knows, maybe you'll benefit too by whacking down a big old buck over them!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
looks really good jbrown. it also appears you have some nice trees to set some stands in also. take some pics as it grows if you can.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
looks really good jbrown. it also appears you have some nice trees to set some stands in also. take some pics as it grows if you can.

That's my plan. I wanted to set a trail cam over one to get somewhat of a timelapse series of pics, but we're getting so close to opening day that I had to place them on trails to figure out patterns. There are a ton of trees over these plots that would be good for stands. I just wish these spots were a bit more secluded. I can't get my stepdad to quit mowing the grassy open areas around them!!! Every year, the open area downslope of the big plot is literally a carpet of oak saplings... and every year, he mows the fuggers down! If he just let them grow, that big plot would really get boxed in... And I think that would really help the comfort level of the deer in there.

Buckmaster

Portage
Looks good. Try to post repeat pics of these in about 3 weeks so we can watch its growth.

So far, I have 5 of my 6 plots installed. The final one should go in this weekend. It's 120 mile drive one way.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
That's my plan. I wanted to set a trail cam over one to get somewhat of a timelapse series of pics, but we're getting so close to opening day that I had to place them on trails to figure out patterns. There are a ton of trees over these plots that would be good for stands. I just wish these spots were a bit more secluded. I can't get my stepdad to quit mowing the grassy open areas around them!!! Every year, the open area downslope of the big plot is literally a carpet of oak saplings... and every year, he mows the fuggers down! If he just let them grow, that big plot would really get boxed in... And I think that would really help the comfort level of the deer in there.
break his mower:smiley_bril:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
break his mower:smiley_bril:

Trust me, brother... I've thought about it. This year I thought he was going to let them go. They had gotten to be a solid 2' tall... Then I go back down to plant plots and it looks like a well-manicured lawn. Son of a bitch! lmao

Man I really like that little cove back behind the barn. It looks like a great setup.

The pictures just don't do that little spot justice. I have some high hopes for that killin' hole.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Hey man, every little bit helps. The deer will definitely benefit from those plants that sprout up... And who knows, maybe you'll benefit too by whacking down a big old buck over them!

The stuff actually sprouted!