Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Turkey

Derek j

Knox Co.
My dad started me into hunting when I was around 11 yrs old (1991 or 1992). It started out hunting rabbit and squirrels, then progressed into hunting deer. I never went turkey hunting until 2008. I had recently moved back to my hometown, and started hunting again with a friend.
My first day of turkey hunting ended with my buddy shooting a really good tom that came in on his side. We went back out a couple days later, and set up in the same spot as before. We had just got done calling when we seen a couple jakes about 80 yards ahead of us. As we were concentrating on the jakes, I seen something out of the corner of my left eye. I slowly turned my head to see a big tom strutting back and forth all the way to my left. Nobody was between me and the tom! This tom is 50 yds away from me, and directly inline with the left side of my body. I could only turn when the bird would get behind a tree for a split second. It took what seemed like an hour to finally get setup on this bird.
My buddy seen that I was turning, and then noticed the tom. He started doing some light purring and clucks to work the bird closer. This guy was not having it! He hung up 45 yds away and would never come any closer! He just kept strutting back and forth. I held that damn gun up for at least 5-10 minutes......I swore for sure that a couple times the bird could hear the fore end of the gun shaking from my hand! I finally made up my mind that if the bird got to a certain spot and would finally stick his head out for me, I would take the shot. Another minute or two go by, and he steps out into my opening. I put the bead on the bird, my buddy alarm putted, and he finally showed me his neck! After I shot, I seen the bird go down. I was shaking so bad, and my arms were jello from holding the gun on him for a good shot. I never got to hear my first bird gobble, but he is forever on my wall to remind me that waiting for a good shot, instead of taking a mediocre one, always pays off in the end!