Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 - 2012 Deer Hunting Contest

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Who is interested?

It is early yet, but before long we will be getting things organized to run the first TOO Deer Hunting Contest. Anyone have any recommendations for how they would like to see the contest ran in terms of scoring methods, etc.?

We did the turkey contest a bit different from what most were probably used to. So for those who took part in that, what did you like/dislike so we can take your feedback into account for the deer contest?

Lets hear it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in. I always liked the "take a youth hunting" points. Good to get the youngins involved.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
K.I.S.S. rules should be fine. No sense in getting to intricate here. Just a flat 5 for a doe and buck under 3" antlers. A buck over 3" of antler will score 10pts. plus a point per point. +5 for taking a new hunter or youth out and only counts 1x per hunter in the contest.

Might I suggest a post count limit be set ?

oh and a +5 to the team that gets me...I'm just that cool.

ok ok. it's not really that I'm that cool. It's really a handicap point bonus because I can't shoot bucks lmao.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
I say we add a bonus point for kills when the scent smoker is used.

rotflmao

Funny you said that cause I was going to say those of us who use carbon suits should get a bonus since we over pay for stuff that doesnt' work and still managed to harvest one!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Funny you said that cause I was going to say those of us who use carbon suits should get a bonus since we over pay for stuff that doesnt' work and still managed to harvest one!

What about guys that wear Scent Lok or Scent Blocker AND smoke up? DOUBLE BONUS BABY!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
K.I.S.S. rules should be fine. No sense in getting to intricate here. Just a flat 5 for a doe and buck under 3" antlers. A buck over 3" of antler will score 10pts. plus a point per point. +5 for taking a new hunter or youth out and only counts 1x per hunter in the contest.

Might I suggest a post count limit be set ?

I think that is the winner set of rules to me...

1. Must have 50 post to be in the contest. Or something to that effect...
  2. Each doe killed is worth 5 points. Bucks under 3" of antler are also 5 points.
  3. A buck is worth 10 points, plus one point per scorable tine. Example: An 11-point is worth 21 points; a 9 point is worth 19 and so on.
  4. You can earn 5 bonus points for your team by taking a youth (Under 16) hunting during the season. Each team member can only earn the bonus one time. Example: Max bonus points for a 4 man team would be 20. A 3 man team could earn 15.
  5. Only deer killed in Ohio can be entered. (Sorry Gern!)
  6. In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by the total number of deer killed. If the teams are still tied, the team with the most youth bonus points wins. If a tie exists are that, the two teams can sort it out because I'm out of ideas!

That's my general concept on things. Feel free to add, edit, change whatever you guys think would make it run smoothly. I like running 3 man teams just to boost the number of teams. To defend my "Ohio deer only" clause: This is The OHIO Outdoors for starters, not to mention the vast majority of us do not have the oppurtunity to hunt other states. Let's make the most of our oppurtunites here in Ohio and let the pieces fall where they may...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Will that include young youths whom are along for the ride or not???Just curious ?

I'm all about exposure, so yes. Just introduce them to hunting and that is fine with me. Not every kid is ready to hunt, but a few times afield with dad/cousin/uncle can light the flame and get the headed in the right diretion and that's the ultimate goal...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think that is the winner set of rules to me...

1. Must have 50 post to be in the contest. Or something to that effect...
  2. Each doe killed is worth 5 points. Bucks under 3" of antler are also 5 points.
  3. A buck is worth 10 points, plus one point per scorable tine. Example: An 11-point is worth 21 points; a 9 point is worth 19 and so on.
  4. You can earn 5 bonus points for your team by taking a youth (Under 16) hunting during the season. Each team member can only earn the bonus one time. Example: Max bonus points for a 4 man team would be 20. A 3 man team could earn 15.
  5. Only deer killed in Ohio can be entered. (Sorry Gern!)
  6. In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by the total number of deer killed. If the teams are still tied, the team with the most youth bonus points wins. If a tie exists are that, the two teams can sort it out because I'm out of ideas!

That's my general concept on things. Feel free to add, edit, change whatever you guys think would make it run smoothly. I like running 3 man teams just to boost the number of teams. To defend my "Ohio deer only" clause: This is The OHIO Outdoors for starters, not to mention the vast majority of us do not have the oppurtunity to hunt other states. Let's make the most of our oppurtunites here in Ohio and let the pieces fall where they may...

As long as only 1 buck counts, (the first one shot) i don't see the state mattering that much. Keep in mind we have 2 guys who are residents in Fl.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As long as only 1 buck counts, (the first one shot) i don't see the state mattering that much. Keep in mind we have 2 guys who are residents in Fl.

Also. if we score by the point there isn't an advantaged for someone who shoots a 135 class 8 over someone who shoots a 80 class 8? Both are only worth 18 points? Say everyone on team 1 all lays down slunger 8s, and team two all kill 8s that are like 60 inches... They tie?

How about tine and beam length? Just measure each tine and beam 1 inch=1 point.... like scoring except without mass and spread measurements. Tine and beam measurements are easy.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

True. I suppose that works TOO. I forgot about the FL boys also hunting there and not just here! So you can kill a buck wherever, but you only get credit for the best one. Makes more sense...

The issue with score is just that, the score. Some guys don't have a clue on how to properly score a deer and there is always the possiblity of a "phantom" score. I suppose you could add in the inside spread maybe?!? Other suggestions?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
True. I suppose that works TOO. I forgot about the FL boys also hunting there and not just here! So you can kill a buck wherever, but you only get credit for the best one. Makes more sense...

The issue with score is just that, the score. Some guys don't have a clue on how to properly score a deer and there is always the possiblity of a "phantom" score. I suppose you could add in the inside spread maybe?!? Other suggestions?

How about "the first one" instead of "the best one"... As us ohio only hunters don't have a chance to swap em out.

Schu72

Streetsboro
So you can kill a buck wherever, but you only get credit for the best one. Makes more sense...

Not a fan of picking your best buck. Most of us will be limited to one buck and will only shoot a buck of a particular caliber. I think it gives a significant advantage to any team that can harvest more than one buck per person and go with the better score.

Also, were you saying you get credit for every doe you shoot?

Sorry...looks like Joe and I were tyoing at the same time.