Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whats your superstition?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have never met a deer hunter that did not have some sort of superstition or conditioned behavior due to a success or epic fail. Whats Yours?

One of mine is to always eat a choice cut of deer the night before I go out for the first time of the bow season. Tender loin bring me the best luck. Another is to carry my grandfathers knife.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hmm. I don't think I have one. I guess I do have a conditioned behavior...I hold my bow in front of my face when a deer approaches. I feel like it "breaks" me up more.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think the closest I have is the scent control routine I go thru. Definitely not a superstition here, but I sure do like to thank the good Lord for the opportunity and ask that he watch over me and keep me safe as well.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I am with you Big Bro ( CJD ) I would always carry the Kabar knife gramps gave both of us as youngsters for Christmas or his old butter fly knife. Other then that pray to the deer gods. Good thread.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think the closest I have is the scent control routine I go thru. Definitely not a superstition here, but I sure do like to thank the good Lord for the opportunity and ask that he watch over me and keep me safe as well.

I do the same thing bro.

I do have a routine with my scent control though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I almost forgot about that... At the beginning and end of every season I always stop in the trail a ways from the truck.. Stand there in the darkness, in silence, and spend about 10 minutes taking it all in.. I then thank the Lord for another season, keep us safe, and make it beautiful.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Don't fib. I am sure we all have a buddy who will mess with ya and say he saw or shot a big one to mess with ya. I make it a point to never joke bout stuff like that.

Diablo54

Outside
I go over the quote written on my widow when im up and nestled into the stand.

"May the good Lord be your outfitter and guide,May he cause you to always shoot straight, and the trophies you pursue be worthy of the book."

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I take a leak on the steps to the other guys stand on the way to mine every time I go out. Does that count ?

Not really lol. I don't think I have one now that I think about it...wait. just thought of one. I always look into my quiver and find an arrow the looks just right and that's the one I hunt with.

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
I have to wear unmatched socks. I'd say this is superstition, but I think it is just cold hard fact. Matching socks are a key to bad luck. It started for me about 3 years ago, but I feel like wearing socks that match each other makes bad things happen.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just thought of another one.
I number all my arrows on the vein when new. This way if I keep shooting # 5 out of the group (for example) it gets pulled. Ya I spin the hunting arrow like a top w/ the tip on a callas on my hand to see if it got bent or vibrates... But it the tree, I always seem to start with number 3. If after a week or so of hunting with no shots taken, I rotate #3 to the back of the quiver and pick a new arrow. lol

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I also number my arrows, and I always put them in the quiver the same way every time. I will use the same arrow until it is ruined, then move on to #2. I also shoot my bow every morning after I get in from my hunt, then again before I go out in the afternoon, usually one arrow at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I do this in order to eliminate every possible variable I can for when that big boy comes walking through.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Great thread idea Jim!

Once I'm on stand, I always say a prayer for safety and opportunity. Lord, just give me an opportunity.
Don't really have a deer hunting superstition yet.

The strongest of ALL superstitions I have came from my grandpa - In my reasoning mind, I know there is no validity to it and God doesn't care...but...
I would never be able to go dove hunting. My grandpa (who was no saint, mind you) was adamant about not shooting doves - he said that the dove was a special bird in God's eye, because that's the form he took once as a sign confiming his son Jesus...he would have kicked any of our asses if we even talked about shooting a dove....threw hunters off his land for asking to dove hunt....

Sorry JB:smiley_blackeye: almost didn't post this

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I have to wear unmatched socks. I'd say this is superstition, but I think it is just cold hard fact. Matching socks are a key to bad luck. It started for me about 3 years ago, but I feel like wearing socks that match each other makes bad things happen.

Guess we won't be seeing a photo spread of you in GQ anytime soon...:smiley_crocodile:
Unmatched sox is an affront to the fashion gods...but hey, if wearing unmatched sox keeps your transmission from going out, then that's a small price to pay.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm more into ritual that superstition, but I do have a few superstitions! After all, I am also a baseball player and that might be a more supertitious group than bowhunters!!! I have made a ritual out of my scent free/smoking up routine that I have come to enjoy almost as much as the hunt at times. I'll get the clothes going while I watch hunting videos and double check equipment. When it's time to fire up the smoker, I smoke my clothes while jamming to some tunes and drinking a beer or two. I store all my clothes in a Stanley Mobile Job Box and pack it according the the hunts that are coming up. This has become a Thursday night ritual since I spend the entire weekend in the woods from the start to the finish of the season.

The night before the season opener is a big meal of deer from the previous year and plenty of hunting videos on the TV. It's a way to get my game face on. I repeat this throughout the season prior to and during big weekends of hunting. The "pagentry" that surrounds camp is as much a part of what I do as anything and I'd feel like I short changed myself if I did not partake in such activities...

I also number my hunting arrows and will hunt with one as long as I am having good hunts. If I have what I deem a bad hunt, I move on to the next arrow in line. I always carry 3 broadheads, a small game head, and a field point.

I also carry my Schrade Uncle Buck knife at all times. My dad gave it to me when I first started hunting and I've gutted the vast majority of my deer with it. I'd feel lost without it.

I have a lucky rock that I keep in my baseball bag my buddies little girl gave me at a game one time. I carried it in my pack last year and plan to do the same this year.

In cold weather, I always wear my Under Armour hoodie. It becomes a superstition when the weather cools.

The last thing is that I always give thanks once I enter "hunt mode". It's the final stage of prepartaion...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
"The last thing is that I always give thanks once I enter "hunt mode""

That is the probably the one thing I do the same every single time I hunt. Climb up. Look around. Take a deep breath and give thanks!