Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frog Legs!!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Went out frog hunting with my uncle a few nights ago and ended up catching 50 keepers......these are Indiana frogs and the limit is 25 apiece....We catch them alive with bare hands......no gigs for us.

A few of the bigger ones.....

On the cutting table......

Are there any other frog hunters around here?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
O dang!
I love frog legs.
My Grandfather, brother and I use to go every summer. Great memories.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Yup, love dem buggers. CJD, my grandfather and I would go out after them and grandma would cook them up when we got home. Used a fishing pole with a hook and a pc of red velvet once in a while.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. We go out at night and use a bright flashlight.....jump in the water and go along the banks looking for them. Once you find one just keep the light directly in his eyes......sneak up there and grab them!

Buckmaster

Portage
Last time out was about 25 years ago. Me and a couple buddies got 87 one night. We cleaned them the following day, then froze them.
We lost them all when the freezer went out when we were on vacation so I never got to eat them. I'm still bummed about that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Lots of good memories frog gigging the swamps in Arkansas when I was stationed there.... some buddies from Arkansas and Mississippi took me out with them.... one light and gig for frogs and one light and gig for snakes lol... had a blast doing it..... there were some big old frogs down in those swamps lol....

Kujo

Maumee, OH
frogs that size make it worth it for sure. haven't gone out in a couple years now, but pics like that make me want to find the time!!!!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
No, they could have been kitten legs.....

Restaurant frog legs are rarely as good as the ones you catch yourself....just like fish.

True. I had em in a RR once- they were dry and stringy
Fresh ones are just out standing!
Dang...I really want some now!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Gram use to soak the legs in heavy salt water over night. As kids we would huddle around the bowl to watch the legs "kick" from the salt in the water.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
No, they could have been kitten legs.....

Restaurant frog legs are rarely as good as the ones you catch yourself....just like fish.

Those would have to have been very small kitties and somehow got the meat to change colors.

Well since they are so much better than rest. or store than I think we should have the frog pros from the site bring some to the next TOO get together.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Those would have to have been very small kitties and somehow got the meat to change colors.

Well since they are so much better than rest. or store than I think we should have the frog pros from the site bring some to the next TOO get together.

Yeah, I need to get to the next one.......if anybody wants to go frogging sometime give me a call.