Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your % of success, using a fishfinder?

I've been looking into buying a fishfinder. Color screen, b/w screen, portable, fixed, gps, etc., etc. there are lots of options...if you have the cash. I'm still shopping around and considering all the options. :smiley_confused_vra

I'm fishing out of a kayak, so a smaller unit would be best.

Anyway... Using a fishfinder, what has been your success vs. not using one?
* Does using one make a difference? (catch more fish)
* Are they best used in locations that have no visible structure?
* Are color screens better than b/w screens? ...if so, why?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I think a good fishfinder is vital anytime you are not fishing shorelines especially on new water. It helps you find structure, points, dropoffs, etc...

They help you catch more fish because you can spend more time over them. Now if you are just fishing ponds and streams...I'd pass.

I don't have one mounted on my canoe because of the waters I fish (rivers, streams, creeks and ponds)

Beentown

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think a good fishfinder is vital anytime you are not fishing shorelines especially on new water. It helps you find structure, points, dropoffs, etc...

They help you catch more fish because you can spend more time over them. Now if you are just fishing ponds and streams...I'd pass.

I don't have one mounted on my canoe because of the waters I fish (rivers, streams, creeks and ponds)

Beentown

Yea, what he said.

Beentown said:

Beentown,
I agree with your thoughts on this topic. The main reason that I'm considering this purchase is that I'll be fishing several of the reservoirs in my area. These water impoundments are (to the naked eye) nothing more than a bowl of water with no visible structure, other than shorelines and the DNR topo maps of the bottom layout.

I'd rather be finding fish and fishing for them, as opposed to fishing for fish that aren't there.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57