Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Post timeout...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Question for you, Joe... I have noticed that if you take too long writing a post, the forum logs you off, then when you click on 'submit' it says something about refreshing the page... yada yada yada. At that point, what I do is highlight everything I wrote, then click copy, then re-login, and then paste it as my post all over again. If I don't copy what I wrote, it loses everything when I log back in. Is there a way to save what has been written so that you don't lose it, should the forum happen to log you out. The copying and pasting thing isn't a big deal, but I learned the hard way that this had to be done. I've been on some other forums that, when you click 'submit', it asks you for your username and password and then posts what you wrote after logging in... without losing anything. Does this make sense?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thats a cookie setting. I think it is browser specific. I know my firefox will do that for me but i don;t think IE will.. Either way I can do some testing.. The easiest thing would be to check the little white box under the log in boxes and it should keep you logged in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thats a cookie setting. I think it is browser specific. I know my firefox will do that for me but i don;t think IE will.. Either way I can do some testing.. The easiest thing would be to check the little white box under the log in boxes and it should keep you logged in.

Sounds good man. Like I said, it's not really a big deal... Just thought something like this could benefit the users of the site.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I learned the hard way a couple years ago over at the other site not to write a noval if I wanted to post lol. What I do now is if I see something I want to make a long post about I just write it in notepad and copy paste it from there lol.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I learned the hard way a couple years ago over at the other site not to write a noval if I wanted to post lol. What I do now is if I see something I want to make a long post about I just write it in notepad and copy paste it from there lol.

If I remember correctly, whenever this happened to me on "the other site" it just posted my message after it prompted me to log back in. I never lost what I had already written. But I guess if it's a browser setting and not a forum setting, this doesn't really mean much. maybe???

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If I remember correctly, whenever this happened to me on "the other site" it just posted my message after it prompted me to log back in. I never lost what I had already written. But I guess if it's a browser setting and not a forum setting, this doesn't really mean much. maybe???

I'm pretty sure it was over there that it happened to me. I can't remember now since I was on about 4-5 different sites at that time. I just know it happened one time and I never did it again. Sucks to loose a long thought and have to start all over lol. For me they don't happen often so I make sure to never loose them when they do happen lmao.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Every once in a while its hell for a 2 finger typer like me. lol
I'll try the Redcloud/note pad Idea next time-thanks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Why don;t you guys just click the little white box so it keeps you logged in forever unless you click logout... That's what I do. I can;t remember the last time I had to log in.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Why don;t you guys just click the little white box so it keeps you logged in forever unless you click logout... That's what I do. I can;t remember the last time I had to log in.

That's the same thing I do, if not I go and shoot out a couple emails for work and come back and have to login, if I didn't have the box checked I would ended up logging in a hundred times a day.

What would be nice would be a "Auto-save as draft" feature, sort of like Gmail has. I'm not sure how that would work if your browser completley closed, or where the draft would be stored, but that would be pretty sweet.

From the little jaunt I took on the web on the topic, it looks like a request that was made to vBulletin years ago and has never been put into action.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The setting that controls the auto log out is set to 1209 seconds or 20 minutes of inactivity before logging you out... Typing a post counts as inactivity because you are typing that in your browser and no requests to the actual forum are being made.

I don't have a setting that will save your post until after you log back in. I think that's the browsers responsibility. I'll check on it though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sorry. Didn't mean to lock that.... I bet you guys thought "MAN! What a DICK.. Responds and locks it. " lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

I got my BOX checked lol. The only time I have to log back in and it's far and few between is when there is an update that wipes out all my cookies and passwords and then I have to sign into everything again.